PUPPIES!

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Puppies! You lucky thing!!!!! Good luck with the sleep deprivation.

I agree that some dogs have issues with commercial dog foods.

I've got Two Labradors (3 and 10) and a Labradoodle (6) and mainly feed them on cooked meats and home made dog biscuits and they really thrive on it.
We can get chicken really cheap in the States.sometimes as low as 49 cents a pound for thighs or drumsticks.We use that,and canned veggies mixed in and cooked,we de-bone it so thighs are easiest IMO..Other day Mrs put kibble and that in a bowl,dog at it all,except didnt touch kibble.

We give the German Shepherd Dog any kibble and she starts scratching,not so on real food.Good stuff.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We can get chicken really cheap in the States.sometimes as low as 49 cents a pound for thighs or drumsticks.We use that,and canned veggies mixed in and cooked,we de-bone it so thighs are easiest IMO..Other day Mrs put kibble and that in a bowl,dog at it all,except didnt touch kibble.

We give the German Shepherd Dog any kibble and she starts scratching,not so on real food.Good stuff.
You have a sensible dog!
We are buying pre-prepared raw dog food at the moment. I will DIY when I know more about it and have the time and energy to do it. Might consider moving to the States for that cheap chicken :)

Reactions: 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took Mrs a bit of time to get it to make up easily.She makes a big pan on the oven,then puts into refrigerator.With 2 large dogs (GSD-'Big Girl', and a Husky/GSD mix-'Snooky') she might make 4 days worth ? She serves it both warm or cold,they seem happy either way.Also when something in fridge is getting old or questionable age we add it to food.Economical and healthier IMO.
Since we are watching our diet for my diabetes,it was a natural to watch dogs diets too.It fits together well.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot believe I missed this thread up til now!

And I LOVE your new profile pic @xfieldok

As i may have mentioned elsewhere, we have a new pup too.

She arrived 8 weeks old at 1.6 kg on a diet of sainsbury’s own brand grain free. She was flourishing, but desperately obsessed with food. The ingredients are not what I believe will grow a healthy pup to a healthy dog, and too full of fillers.

So we have switched her to puppy raw (Nutriment).
In just one week she has gained/grown 250g, and is no longer ravening.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago now I got a half grown black Labrador dog - free please take it away please.
He grew up to be quite magnificent and all on unwanted bits from the butcher - I still have the kit I used to cut up the various larger pieces somewhere, and the big pan I boiled it up in - I added oatmeal - a double handful, for two days food, and he practically inhaled it.
I was often asked about how I looked after him to keep him in such good condition - but few people wanted to do the two long bike rides and the mid day trot around the block, plus the proper food. Those were the days when I had a 24 inch waist.

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a child, aged 9, my parents bought me a boxer puppy. He was from a breeder that had some of the first boxers in the country. Anyway, in those days we had a dog meat man that came round in his van, delivering raw meat. Mum always bought from him and cooked it all in an old pressure cooker pan. I can still remember that smell. It was dreadful. But Buster thrived on it, and loved it. He got mixer biscuits (called Cruckles) mixed in with it. I have often wondered if it was horse meat. To this day, we still call dried food Cruckles.