Quarter of Britons drink Plant Based Milks

D

Deleted member 308541

Plant based milk should not be called milk, milk is produced by mammals not plants...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Choice is a good thing, but claims should be checked. Jamie Oliver revealed to school children that some almond milks contain just 2% of almonds.

A significant number of persons are lactose intolerant. I don't recall public health messages when milk was given to school children in England (UK?, not sure) circa 45 years ago.

I tried Alpro during my fixing phase, and am glad to have occasional locally produced and delivered dairy non homogenised milk - I would have raw if I could, like my wifes family have on an Irish farm.

Reactions: zand

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m happy (I could do a little dance but I’m tired) to have read that some people are buying plant based milk. So what do we call plant based milk? Nut juice? Rice water? Oat water? Soy bean juice sounds good nonetheless. I think some vegans don’t care if it’s 2% soy or 96% soy, because no cows or goats were killed in the process of producing milk.
My mum use to brew up soy milk and used the pulp to make soy meat balls in tomato sauce. The homemade soy milk is a lot stronger in smell and taste. The whole process took some time, soaking the soy beans etc. So having that option in super markets is indeed a good choice.
In regards to the video, surely there are a whole range of factors as to why we don’t have enough vitamin d or iodine. I mean England isn’t particularly sunny and I know that because Asians suffer the most. More over vegans are eating sea vegetables too to get iodine. Nori sheets are pretty tasty. In spite of that, for any type 1s having to bolus for milk, in my opinion it is not worth it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried milk alternatives but have always much preferred fresh cows milk. As a child and into my late teens and early twenties I drank loads of it, full fat.

Then at some point turned to semi skimmed as it was deemed healthier. But now I am back on to full fat milk which I thoroughly enjoy.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I don't like soy milk at all. I've tried, over the years and I use it to make tofu but don't like the milk itself. I use oat milk - it tastes creamy and my husband prefers it to dairy so now we don't get dairy.

I'd agree about calling plant milk something else were it not for the fact that nut milk has been called this for centuries and no-one used to mind, agreeing that it was just a variant.

Milk is a generic term, and usually clarified by type as to dairy, goat, nut, soy - does it really matter?

Is anyone who prefers dairy actually going to be mislead into going to the free from section and choosing a plant milk, and then going home to be astounded to find they've not got cow's milk?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't know what Soya milk taste's like nowadays, as I had to drink soya milk back in 1982 as my baby daughter seemed to be allergic to things that I ate, as I was breast feeding her and she kept bringing up the milk, sometimes it was like a fountain,so health visitor and GP to use soya milk in my tea and with other foods. I did it, but it was an awful taste then.

It's great that people have a choice and trying different foods. Freedom of choice, unless they have an allergy/medical conditio n At the end of the day, the term 'milk' is just a variant, also, in many other kinds of foods too.

Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't like soy milk at all. I've tried, over the years and I use it to make tofu but don't like the milk itself. I use oat milk - it tastes creamy and my husband prefers it to dairy so now we don't get dairy.

I'd agree about calling plant milk something else were it not for the fact that nut milk has been called this for centuries and no-one used to mind, agreeing that it was just a variant.

Milk is a generic term, and usually clarified by type as to dairy, goat, nut, soy - does it really matter?

Is anyone who prefers dairy actually going to be mislead into going to the free from section and choosing a plant milk, and then going home to be astounded to find they've not got cow's milk?
Unlikely lol

From google ;https://us.oatly.com/products/full-fat-oatmilk-chilled

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's exactly the reason that none of the substitutes are allowed to be labelled as "milk".
They're all called "drink" so far as I am aware.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We always used to call the liquid from cocoanuts cocoanut milk, was that just our family or was it an accepted term? I think I have seen it called cocoanut water nowadays. I have tried other "milks" such as soy and almond, the only one I can get away with is roasted almond milk but only in coffee. Tinned cocoanut milk on the other hand (no resemblance to above) is great for my chicken korma.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes choice is a good thing. I fear that in a few years we real dairy milk drinkers won't be afforded that choice.

Reactions: Oldvatr

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently the EU allow 'coconut milk' and 'almond milk' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40274645
Now you mention it I have seen tins labelled coconut milk but never a "milk style" carton. Never seen anything almond labelled as milk though.. can't find anything on the Tesco website. Most makers just seem to avoid the term or label as "milk alternative".

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@bulkbiker - I never even thought about what the stuff I get is called and it's an oat drink. (With added B12). And the creme fraiche is creamy oat fraiche. Never crossed my mind before.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We always used to call the liquid from cocoanuts cocoanut milk, was that just our family or was it an accepted term? I think I have seen it called cocoanut water nowadays. I have tried other "milks" such as soy and almond, the only one I can get away with is roasted almond milk but only in coffee. Tinned cocoanut milk on the other hand (no resemblance to above) is great for my chicken korma.
The liquid inside the nut is coconut water, coconut milk is made from the flesh. Coconut cream is coconut milk with less water.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Still labeled soy milk, almond milk etc here.............I do love soy milk, I'm glad of the choices.
And @Robinredbreast it does taste better nowadays, I remember what it used to taste like back in the early 80's, :meh: although I was happy to have it when it first started appearing on the shelves back then!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m happy (I could do a little dance but I’m tired) to have read that some people are buying plant based milk. So what do we call plant based milk? Nut juice? Rice water? Oat water? Soy bean juice sounds good nonetheless. I think some vegans don’t care if it’s 2% soy or 96% soy, because no cows or goats were killed in the process of producing milk.
My mum use to brew up soy milk and used the pulp to make soy meat balls in tomato sauce. The homemade soy milk is a lot stronger in smell and taste. The whole process took some time, soaking the soy beans etc. So having that option in super markets is indeed a good choice.
In regards to the video, surely there are a whole range of factors as to why we don’t have enough vitamin d or iodine. I mean England isn’t particularly sunny and I know that because Asians suffer the most. More over vegans are eating sea vegetables too to get iodine. Nori sheets are pretty tasty. In spite of that, for any type 1s having to bolus for milk, in my opinion it is not worth it.
As far as I recall, dairy cows and goats are not slaughtered for their milk. Please keep to the topic of Milk.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I find all soy milk a bit sweet tbh - I think that's why I'm so fond of oat milk.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Need to contact Amazon toute suite, as they have lashings of the alternatives labelled as milk. ;)