Question about a child - sweet smelling urine

notsure10

Hi,

Sorry to post but I am having trouble finding information and I thought someone might be able to help.

I have a nearly 4 year old boy who is well in himself but for the last few weeks his urine has had a very odd sweet smell to it. I have done 3 urine tests and all have come back absolutely normal with no sign of glucose or Ketones or anything else for that matter. This is dip test not lab test. The GP as a result thinks I'm mad but I am not happy that things are OK.

I have got him to wee into a potty and the urine smells very faintly pleasant if that makes sense! The stronger sweet smell is always when I smell his pants as he does tend to leak from time to time, and his nappy also smells of it in the morning as he is not yet dry at night

He had Balanitis at the beginning of the year and he had antibiotics for this. He is no longer complaining that he is in pain but he said to me his penis felt heavy today and it may be slightly swollen.

In terms of drinking / peeing he has some days when he has lots to drink and goes all the time and other days when he hardly drinks anything and goes very little. He is usually on good form if a little whiny.

Does this sound like diabetes? Do you think that he may have a urine / yeast infection? Nowhere does it say on the internet that these cause sweet smelling urine - if anything they apparently cause foul smelling urine. There's a rare genetic disease called MSUD but if he has this it's the intermittent type and anyway his pee does not really smell of Maple syrup, more like fruit with a faint whiff of ammonia.

Any advice would be very helpful

Thanks in advance.

julie42

Hi, I am not an expert and hopefully you will get a few more replies but I thought sweetness was a sign and before diagnosis mine did.
As a mum you must go with your gut, can you see another GP or do you have a walk in centre near you? When did you test his urine and is it possible the sticks are faulty or old?
It would be better to hear from parents as they will know more than me but in the old days I am sure they checked by smell. Good luck in getting it sorted

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, a sweet smell can sometimes show diabetes, but I'm sure the urine sticks would show this up. I guess you may have to persuade your GP to send the urine off for analysis to look for some other cause?

colacard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a parent of a diabetic I can say the sweet smell would be sign but the test strips should confirm so if they are saying no I would assume it's not diabetes and ask your Dr for more tests as to what it could be. X

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

CambridgeLass

Completely agree with colacard. If glucose is negative on in date test strips its likely not diabetes, but still something is wrong - perhaps an infection? Best get the sample analysed, ask for a second opinion.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App