1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Question about novorapid sensitivity

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Emile_the_rat, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

After almost a year on insulin, I found out something strange. And thought I ask here, because I am kind of confused.

It seems like I can increase my dosage in the evening, of fast acting insulin when eating, without getting a hypo.

But if I use same ratio in the morning or start of the day I seem to get a hypo. So I have to decrease my dosage at the first half of the day, and slowely increase it at evening.

Does anyone now why that is. I’ve heard of dawn phenomen, but the thing is, I do not get high in the evening if I do not eat, but I still have to take more insulin if I eat. Don’t know if this is normal, or not.

Any thoughts or insight are much appreciated :)

2. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Different ratios at different times of day is pretty normal. You just need to work out what the different ratio is in the evening for you :)

(Dawn phenomenon would mean you need more insulin in the morning, which you say you don't, so you're probably not suffering that).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Usually most people are more resistant in the morning and therefore require more insulin in the morning. Do you use basal insulin? and if so (do you take it once a day?) it could be that you are taking it at night so its around its peak in the morning, but has worn off by the evening as most do not last 24 hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I do have dawn phenomenon and require more insulin if I try to eat in the morning. Usually I just skip eating as it's really hard to control in the morning. As the day goes on I require less. By late afternoon to night it's half of what I would be taking than in the morning.

It's not uncommon to have different ratios throughout a day/night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When do you take your long acting insulin? I also need (significantly) more NovoRapid in the evening than morning, but I think this is because I take my long acting just before bed so by the time it is dinner time it's starting to run out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm the same as yourself, Emile.

Less fast acting during the day, ramping up in the evenings. I put this down to Lantus not lasting a full 24 hours. Some people find that splitting their long acting helps keep their ratios consistent, but I'm used to it and happy to stay with the single long acting in the evening.

I also find that as the weather warms up, my insulin needs rise. I'm up by about a third by the time summer ends and have to start reducing ..for winter.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me too, I have been taking Tresiba for the last year or so but I still find I need way more insulin at night even though Tresiba is supposed to last 42 hours. And I also find I need more insulin in the summer (even though most people have the opposite effect and find they need much less insulin when it's warmer): glad I am not the only one!

• Like Like x 2
  8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

my ratios change i need more for breakfast less for lunch and a ratio of 1:10 for tea i am also on tresiba for long acting which i found to be much more stable than when i was on lantus .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Glad to see I’m not alone, and to see that ratio can change for others too. Was kind of afraid that I did something wrong, but looks like I do just fine.

Thanks for all the input here, really appriciated :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m off to the South Pole no more Diabetes! I have noticed something similar. When many days are over 35c I use more insulin. I live in Australia, is there any room left in England, for another Aussie, I know we have filled up London.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook