Question about Telling Employer

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there any point telling your employer I wonder? Would it help in any way? I am a recently diagnosed T2 & work as a university professor. I find it hard to get breaks to eat between classes and meetings and I'm having trouble keeping up with an 8 hour day due to fatigue (I also have hypothyroidism). Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

Reactions: 2 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
In having the same dilemma at the moment I am LADA/1.5 I work offshore as an engineer.

I don't think it has a relevance to them as such but...

If you/I were to perhaps have a hypo whilst at work and they found out you had prior knowledge of your condition and didn't communicate this they may have grounds for disciplinary/dismissal... Or atleast to cause you some agro!

WRT to our jobs we although very different both probably carry risks that our offices/managers would be able to manage/reduce/remove/assist

I have my first 3 month review today and if they decide now is time for insulin I have no choice but to discuss with work but with what I've leaned so far I'm swaying towards that option anyway.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any point telling your employer I wonder? Would it help in any way? I am a recently diagnosed T2 & work as a university professor. I find it hard to get breaks to eat between classes and meetings and I'm having trouble keeping up with an 8 hour day due to fatigue (I also have hypothyroidism). Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.
Don't you even get a lunch break? That is hard.

Personally I usually eat twice a day, midday and early evening and it works very well for me. Most people seem to like to eat breakfast too.

If your schedule is so tight it doesn't allow you to have lunch then yes, I'd speak with the employer. Diabetes or not, we all need a break now and then.

If your tiredness is due to low thyroid hormones you need to talk to your GP about upping your thyroid meds and possibly try some other thyroid medication like NDT or T3. I am on NDT and incidentally it's made in Canada.

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It must be hard to get the right food working offshore. Everybody has different but equally compelling problems with this disease it seems :( I can see why you'd need to tell your employer if insulin comes into it.

My endocrinologist put me on a new thyroid med in late July and these things always take a while to stabilize. A few weeks later I was hyper on it. I get tested again in mid-October so we'll see.

In my job you manage your own time but during term time the demands are too high--it eases up in April, ha! Meanwhile I have started coming home for lunch most days, which helps, even if I fall behind. I can't see a reason to tell them or a possible benefit but I hate having a semi-secret. I'm T2 so am unlikely to have hypos.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am under active thyroid And recently about 3 weeks roughly ago got diagnosed t2 diabeties. Is it work telling my manager I work as sales assistant on till I. A shop I constantly loose concentration n feel really tired all the time still can anyone give me advice please it all still unreal

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
It must be hard to get the right food working offshore. Everybody has different but equally compelling problems with this disease it seems :( I can see why you'd need to tell your employer if insulin comes into it.

My endocrinologist put me on a new thyroid med in late July and these things always take a while to stabilize. A few weeks later I was hyper on it. I get tested again in mid-October so we'll see.

In my job you manage your own time but during term time the demands are too high--it eases up in April, ha! Meanwhile I have started coming home for lunch most days, which helps, even if I fall behind. I can't see a reason to tell them or a possible benefit but I hate having a semi-secret. I'm T2 so am unlikely to have hypos.

Believe it or not the food offshore is unbelieveable!!! And quantities you can only dream of, if you were to have a hypo offshore it would be down to your own negligence hahaha were spoilt! Hope you come to a conclusion to yourself and your dilemma

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great! Enjoy the feast and thanks.

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lesley, I don't know what to tell you as I am wondering myself. If I understand correctly, T2s rarely have hypo episodes so maybe you won't have to deal with that. Hypothyroidism and diabetes are related according to some stuff I've read--thyroid problems can mess up everything. Hang in there.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a little one few times as I never get to my breaks on time n get sweats n shakes as don't really get meals like I should do only get 15 min for a break only work 6 hrs a day so don't get long to eat a lot tbh so need to try find something fairly decent to eat that is quick if that makes sence thanks tho xx