Question about type 2

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm type 2 on metformin I had my evening meal as usual and 10 minutes I just had a urge to eat something sweet I've never had this before I tested my levels and they was 14.6 please advise

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
What was your evening meal tonight? How long after you ate did you get the 14.6 reading?

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had beef grill steaks and rice . I have never had a feeling that I needed something sweet before like I did last night

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will have been the rice that shot you up to double figures. Do you normally have rice and have you tested it previously, before and after?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yep, almost certainly the rice. Dump it quick smart

Reactions: 2 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Try cauliflower rice instead (I steam cauliflower florets and then mash with a fork)

C

catherinecherub

Hi @jacko3469,

If the grill steaks were processed ones they may have had a high carb content. Did you check the nutritional data?
You do not mention any veggies either.
If you had used a smaller portion of rice, added fresh veggies and eaten a steak freshly cooked, I am sure your readings would have been lower.

It's all trial and error as to what you personally can eat. Keep a food diary, make a note of your readings and try to see which foods raise your blood sugars. Whilst some can eat rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and cereals in smaller portions as part of a well balanced meal, others find that one or more or even all of these products have to be eliminated from their diet.

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat One Tablespoon of brown rice with a meal and be ok more than this and I am in double figures .. Just have to be in the same room as white rice and it's the same very high bs. Do try to keep a food diary with the food eaten and bs numbers .. It's easy to see then what's shooting up your bs

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Paradoxically a high blood sugar can cause the craving to eat something sweet. In T1 diabetics anyway. Maybe it's the same for T2s?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had all this food before it not affected me

Sometimes, our bodies respond to the same foods in different ways - depending in stress levels, tiredness, what else we have eaten in the says and weeks before, variations in portion sizes...

In addition, if you are regularly eating foods containing more carbs than your body can cope with, your carb tolerance will deteriorate over time - causing higher blood glucose levels.

I recommend that you eat the same amount of rice (maybe even the same meal) again, 2 or 3 times, testing consistently before and 2 hours later. That will give you enough readings to decide whether the meal is a problem, or whether it was something like stress.

If it is the food, then you need to cut carb portions, maybe give up rice altogether.
And if you are that sensitive to rice, then testing other carbs may reveal other sensitivities too.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you will try that I am training for this seasons tour that i play on that's why I eat rice a few times a week

gazebo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm type 2 on metformin I had my evening meal as usual and 10 minutes I just had a urge to eat something sweet I've never had this before I tested my levels and they was 14.6 please advise
Hi Jacko
It was good to see someone else with sugar cravings. I have only been on Metformin since December and apart from feeling sick all the time I also get sugar cravings which are annoying as like you it is something new for me. My fasting blood sugar has gone from 5.7 before taking Metformin to 6.2 which is also disappointing. I am thinking of not taking the Metformin and see if my sickness and cravings go away and get my blood sugar down. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and for that time I used diet and excercise to control my blood sugar but recently my GP said I needed Metformin to protect my heart. I am already on a low carb diet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Jacko
It was good to see someone else with sugar cravings. I have only been on Metformin since December and apart from feeling sick all the time I also get sugar cravings which are annoying as like you it is something new for me. My fasting blood sugar has gone from 5.7 before taking Metformin to 6.2 which is also disappointing. I am thinking of not taking the Metformin and see if my sickness and cravings go away and get my blood sugar down. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and for that time I used diet and excercise to control my blood sugar but recently my GP said I needed Metformin to protect my heart. I am already on a low carb diet.
Similar question: what does your diet consist of? That will have more of an impact on your blood sugar than metformin will.

gazebo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not changed my diet which consists of Chicken or fish with veg or salad for main meal, porridge with pumkin seeds and a small banana for breakfast and eggs on toast (pumkin bread). for lunch. I go to the gym most days for an hour to keep my weight down. I found giving up potatoes easy but still like bread which I do restrict to one or two slices per day. My weight has not changed since starting on Metformin but I no longer enjoy my food.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Do you have a blood glucose meter? What does the porridge, banana, and bread do to your blood glucose levels? Depending on how insulin resistant you are, the carbs in your diet could be spiking your blood glucose. That leads to carb craving as your blood glucose drops from these highs. Also, your diet seems very low in fats.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I had beef grill steaks and rice . I have never had a feeling that I needed something sweet before like I did last night
This is what happens when I eat rice, bread or pasta:(
Have a look at this website.... My bs about 5.5 except 6-7 for fasting bs.
www.dietdoctor.com

gazebo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a blood glucose meter? What does the porridge, banana, and bread do to your blood glucose levels? Depending on how insulin resistant you are, the carbs in your diet could be spiking your blood glucose. That leads to carb craving as your blood glucose drops from these highs. Also, your diet seems very low in fats.
I do test my BS some mornings but as it has usually been under 6 I do not worry too much. I have not tried to test after food so that is an option I should try. I keep my fats down as my cholestrerol is 6.2 which is why my GP put me on Metformin as I cannot tolerate statins. I will test after food and maybe cut out the banana.