Question for the Pre-Menopausal Ladies

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Men, if you wandered into this thread on accident, my apologies to you. :rolleyes:

Ladies, how do you manage your periods and the low carb lifestyle? I feel like I sail along swimmingly, then once I ovulate and until the first day of my period, I crave carbs like a beast. In fact, I am just more hungry in general. Like today, I want to eat everything. I just ate a healthy lunch two hours ago--which would normally satisfy me just fine--but I am already hungry again.

I would like to say that eating low carb eliminates cravings, but for that one week around my period and my hormones are raging, every waking hour is a struggle. Both cravings and eating in general.

Also, I have PCOS, so hormones are not my strong point.;)

Any advice?

Reactions: 2 people

carol anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mashed potato
I eat more protein boiled eggs quorn sausages a tin of tuna or cold meat fills yu good try it x

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat if I'm hungry - just not carbs. Avocado, some fatty meat, even a couple of tablespoons of almond butter. Having said that, I only seem to feel hungry on the first day, and usually end up eating less in the next couple of days. If you're feeling hungry for half a month, add a little more fat - then reduce in the first half of the cycle, maybe?

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am holding my own. I just had some macadamia nuts and a piece of cheddar. That seemed to do the trick.

I really don't struggle with cravings anymore, except during this time. The worst of it lasts about 4-5 days.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get like this but only during my period, I will eat anything in sight, but my bgs are AMAZING, don't know how that all works but I'm thankful for it, if I ate anything in sight any other time they would be all over the place. Literally the second my period stops im back to normal... Can't really offer advice I just thought I'd say my bit :)

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm somewhere between pre & peri menopausal (the women in my family tend to hit menopause early) & can usually tell what kind of month I'm having hormone wise just by appetite. If I'm having lots of estrogen peaks I often lose my appetite but if I'm having a lower estrogen month it can go through the roof! Day 20 however is always the same - I could eat anything that isn't moving fast enough. Day 20 for me is the day where my progesterone is at it's absolute highest relative to my estrogen & apparently it is the progesterone that causes the hunger while estrogen is said to help in hunger regulation by simulating the soothing “full” or satiety effect of serotonin. Green tea & dark chocolate are said to help with serotonin so that may be worth a try & I've also read that increasing omega 3's can help. For my part, I try to just eat more fat & fibre - avocado, brie or peanut butter on flax 'toast' often does the trick of filling me up but I always have the 85% handy as well ;)

Reactions: 4 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Safi I did break out the dark chocolate last night too, but stuck to two squares. I ate all day long yesterday. I mean ALL DAY! However, I stuck to low carb (and really fatty) options and it worked. I am still trying to lose weight, so I count my calories and that is where I also struggle during that time of the month. I feel guilty for eating over my calorie allotment, but I suppose that is better than eating carbs and messing with my blood sugar.

And my blood sugar was on point this morning, so it worked. o_O

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @vintageutopia - maybe the extra calories will keep your metabolism guessing & help the weight loss ;) that works for some people!

Reactions: 4 people