Question for women?

diabeticdancer

Do you find that "that time of the month" effects your BG? Higher or lower? This is only my second month so I can't really tell if my honeymoon is acting up or the pain(I get bad pains).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only newly diagnosed but I turned in my highest BS level the reading just before my period started. I don't imagine pain helps either to stabilise BS.

debbiiee

I find my levels getting high a week before periods start. And they become normal once menstruation starts. I dont know if there is any relation. But hormonal changes are sure to affect BG levels.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I find my bs goes through the roof the week before as soon as it starts it all goes normal I do tend to comfort eat the week before which probably doesn't help tbh

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Bs doesn't go up but often put on a pound. Really bad water retention too :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I still had periods, glucose definitely rose just before.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hormones seem to mess up each other. Or sort each other. I have got my periods back on LCHF. Hormones are so strange.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Goes up before. If I gave a proper period then it does drop. Every now and then they stay high until period finished. Think you've got everything sussed? Hahaha your hormones interfere.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Suffer from pcos with no regular periods to speak of, maybe three a year. Since low carbing, I've been amazed at the difference. Not every month, but nearly! But my blood sugars rise a heap just before. Quite worried until I figured it out. Phew.

D

Deleted member 83869

Period's do usually up BS levels due to the hormones, when I was first put onto Levemir, I was told to up my dosage 2 units whilst on my period, but obviously consult with your nurse/doctor first :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is a bit higher today than usual and I have the dreaded back and tummy aches that herald my period's imminent arrival so I guess it is linked.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey .
My time of the month , feels like a pain , it's never ever the same one month to the next .
I could creep up a week before , or sometimes I don't , sometime I drop a lot during sometimes before sometimes after .
I just have to take it day by day and adjust when I need to .
My back ground will change and also my ratios . But it's still do able and all works out in the end .

:):p:)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find I need to take almost double my usual insulin in the morning just before my period. Usually ok the rest if the day. Guess it's the hormones.
Watch out for hypos though when your ratios return to normal.