Question..

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi all,

I'm unfortunately being made redundant at the end of November, I currently work on a contract alongside the job centre which trains and helps long term unemployed find work :)

The contract ran for 5 years but was extended a little longer, after this came FND (flexible new deal) and that is being replaced by 'the work programme' which some of you may have heard of which is currently going live up and down the UK.

Soooo i have a few questions in regards to finding new work..

1. Am i legally tied to tell prospect employers i have diabetes?

2. If i'm not legally tied to, should i volunteer this information? (in an application form, if i came to an interview i would make sure they were aware from this point, hopefully at the end when i've hopefully managed to sell myself :lol: )

3. What are people's views on the chance i may be likely rejected due to employers maybe not understanding diabetes and ruling me out because of it?

I'm quite worried that i may struggle due to my good friend diabetes. I understand it's against the law that i cannot be discriminated due to my diabetes, but i also know that this discrimination can be disguised into something else (deliberatly finding a reason not to employ me).

The job i am in now i've been in for almost 4 years, i was in this job when i was diagnosed with diabetes so have never really applied for any jobs whilst i've had diabetes.

any advice/opinions welcome :)

spanks!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
For employment purposes is diabetes considered a disability? I know that basically if it affects day to day living and lasts over 12 months the condition is considered a disability, the only reason I say that is because some prospective employers guarantee interviews to "disabled" people who meet their minimum criteria. Not morally right I know as I don't consider my diabetes a hinderance to me, but if (and I don't know for sure) you can use diabetes as a way to get a guaranteed interview then why not? The companies who run such schemes are normally proud of their 2 tick logo.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my employer is one who guarantees an interview to anyone who ticks the disability box and meets the criteria. Saying that, in my small department we haven't taken on anyone who we had to interview, but they didn't have diabetes. If you are good enough for the job, you will get shortlisted anyway.

Make sure you give them lots of information and 'skill match' the job description to your attributes - i.e. if they ask for a particular skill, make sure you match it to something you can do, no matter how tenuous and not necessarily to do with your previous jobs.

ebony321

Dislikes
Hi,

thanks for your replies.

I wasn't aware that you could be guaranteed an interview if you have a disability. I don't think it's a route i would take though.

I have an interview on thursday for another administration job, I'm a bit nervous incase they ask health questions..

Obviously if i asked i will definately tell them i have type 1 diabetes, i want to make it clear that diabetes is not a problem for me and it is well controlled. But i don't want to draw any unnecassary attention to it either?

I'm confident i am competent and able to do the job definately i just don't want diabetes to put any doubt in their mind either which i think may make me extra nervous :(

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
As a diabetic you are able to recover the VAT paid on goods - that is only available to the disabled - therefore you should, I would have thought, tick the box that says you are disabled.

I know that Manchester Council, recently, only interviewed people who ticked the disability box - but there again Manchester is known for only employing people with box ticking capabilities (eg: left handed lesbian with 6 children, a wooden leg, one glass eye and sundry other minority issues would probably get to be head of the county - joking (sort of))

Cheers
Ailz - who got turned down for a job with Manchester council at the height of its 'loony left' period. - and I thought I'd have fitted right in. lol

sugar2

Good luck Ebony! I only mentioned it when I had got the job, and I had to fill in the medical questionaire. I know in my company, you can not ask about disabilities in an interview or on the application form...so they can not discrimnate either for people with disabilities or against them..

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks for the link Admin.

Unlucky Ailz, sounnds like it would have been a hoot and half! :) I'm aware employers will employ minorities to ensure they are following diversity in the work place, i wasn;t aware they could get rewarded for it though.

Thanks Sugar, i'll see how it goes. If they ask i will answer honestly and openly, but if they don't i won't offer the information until i receive a job offer.

We'll see on thursday i guess :)

thanks again for your replies guys :)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Good luck I expect necessary skills are much more important in most jobs.

Ailz

ebony321

Dislikes
Hi,

Thought i'd update.

The interview went well, i wasn't asked any health questions, only job orientated ones.

I was due to find out today when the second interview would be..

Turns out they were so impressed with me that there was no need for a second one and i have the job and start on monday :) They even have a supervisory role lined up for me in the future if i pass my trial period, so i'm pretty chuffed today :)

I'm due to meet up again on friday to discuss the job further and sort out ID, bank details and hopefully sign the contract. I plan to let him know about my diabetes then as i prefer to be upfront but pleased that i got the chance to show myself as a person as well as my professional side before it had the chance to be tainted with the cloud that sometimes hangs over diabetes.

Thanks for all your replies again, it did make me feel more comfortable and I'm happy i can say they went on the qualities needed for the job :)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Well done!!!! finding a job these days like finding a diamond

Hope it all works out for you

Bob

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks very much :)

as i live in a small town the jobs available are quite sparce so i have come across quite a diamond there!

:)

Pac

Ailz mentioned "As a diabetic you are able to recover the VAT paid on goods ..."

Can you tell me what goods this includes please, and also how the VAT can be recovered.

Thanks.

Pac

"... - but there again Manchester is known for only employing people with box ticking capabilities"

Thanks for this Ailz, it explains a lot.

I wasn't when I started, but I sure was when they finished with me!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Ailz mentioned "As a diabetic you are able to recover the VAT paid on goods ..."
Can you tell me what goods this includes please, and also how the VAT can be recovered.

Your NOT going to get the vat back on that new range cooker :lol:

Vat back Only on items you need that are Related to your Disability
Eg Diabetic T2 Test strips BG meter ,urine test strips
Cant really think of much more as a diabetic you could claim for, :?:
Unless you have other issues with mobility or sight

Example as i am unable to walk ,,Vat back on alterations to house for wheelchair access

customs.hmrc.gov.uk link
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_000184&propertyType=document

Bob

Pac

Thanks Bob,

I like the bit about the cooker!!

Its good to know that, if I can't persuade the powers that be to provide me with a prescription for strips and lancets, I will at least be able to get a refund on any VAT payable.

Pac

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Good news about the job Ebony! Will you still be allowed to log on here in the new job? Good luck, hope all goes well.

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks Gappy :)

I'm not sure, maybe in alotted break times, my current work is rather laid back so doen't mind internet use. I may have to become a part time poster and catch up in the evenings!!

I can use my phone too i guess. I should still be around often hopefully :)