Question

weim1

Hi, just been diagnosed a couple of days ago with type 2 diabetes. I have been put on Metformin 500mg three x day, gliclazide half tablet twice a day. Tritace and Simvastatin tablets as well. Is it normal to have diaohrea, and also I have a funny sensation over my arms and legs as if they are slightly tingling, it is not sore I am just aware it feels different, also the muscles at the back of my legs feel tight. Just want to know if this is normal until I get used to the tablets. Many Thanks, Donna

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Donna.

Metformin can have unfortunate side effects until you get used to it. What you describe may all be down to this ? However, if you are concerned discuss with your GP. It is usual to start off on a low dose at first to allow you to acclimatise to the drug. 1500mg per day is not low.

Ken.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Donna

The tingling you are experiencing could be down to the Simvastatin - read the leaflet that comes with the pack. If the diarrhea does not settle ask your GP for slow release Metformin - many of us are on that.
When you start three or four new drugs at the same time it is rather difficult to know which side effects are caused by which medication!! :roll: There is plenty of information on this forum - ask whatever you want and someone will give you an answer. Jude

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Donna.

Regardless of what we all think it might be down to ?? There are too many drugs involved to even think of giving a definitive answer.

The thing to do is discuss this with your GP. No more, no less.

Ken

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Donna
your doctor should have suggested starting low dose Metformin,500 mg, once a day and checking your Blood glucose for a week and if necessary increasing stepwise to a maximum. This procedure is called "titration" and avoids overdosing. Not that Metformin is dangerous in an overdose.. If that isn't enough, that would be the point at which Gliclazide might be added.
giving you everything to start together all at once makes it impossible to isolate where any problems are coming from.

weim1

Thanks for your answers, I am going to take your advice and ask the doctor, as you say it could be any of the new tablets I am taking.
Many thanks again guys, your advice is invaluable.
Donna

Spiral

While I think a trip to the doctor is called for, never underestimate the experience and knoweldge of your local pharmacist :D

A pharmacist's training in relation to doses and drug intereactions is actually better than that of a doctor. I have known pharmacists to spot dangerous/risky combinations of medication more than once. They are also a lot quicker to see than the doctor and having a pharmacist flag up concerns can sometimes help you to bypass the wait at the surgery if you couldn't get an appointment quickly when you rang.