Type 2 Questions After 6 month Check

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had a 6 month check with the diabetic nurse and have a couple of questions which I know you more experienced members will be able to help with!

At my last appointment I was changed from Metformin to slow release Metformin. I have now put on almost a stone in weight, which surprised the nurse as diabetics apparently lose weight "because of the side effects of Metformin and effects on your bowels".
So, what is Metformin really doing to me apart from the stomach cramps and ... well, you know the rest!
Has anyone else put weight on with slow release?

My first morning blood tests always show a reading of between 9 and 12 - but I have not been given any advice as to how to reduce this. Do you have any ideas?

I have been referred back to the GP and will have 3 months follow-ups for the next 12 months, so I know they are a bit concerned and trying to support me, but I also know that on this site the combined personal experience and knowledge that is going to help me make progress; I don't want to be satisfied with where I am now.

My initial aim to shed 2 stone and get my levels down to at least a consistent 7 - 9 would be really good, but it seems a long way away.

Thanks for your advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Metformin normally has no effect on weight in either form. The SR form should stop the stomach cramps etc. I suspect your weight gain may be due to diet too high in carbs? I find the nurses comments on Metformin a bit bizarre. Morning fasting tests can vary a lot due to the overnight liver dump effect where glucose is produced to start the day. Tests 2 hours after meal are much more reliable. Did your nurse tell you your new HBa1C figure - it's important to know this and is a reliable test and a guide as to the right level and types of medication. So, the best approach to reduce weight and blood sugar is to reduce the carbs in your diet and increase proteins and fats as needed.