1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Questions for Vegans

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Hotpepper20000, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I do have a few questions for those who are meat and dairy free because it is something I am intrested in.
    Don't legumes raise your BS? Is there a difference between lentils and black beans or chickpeas for example when it come to BS control?
    Does tofu become a staple in your meals?
    And how difficult is it to lose pounds while increasing nuts in your diet?
    I look forward to reading about what your experience is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well yes... I used not to know that ... but still i think they are a healthy choice... and shouldn´t be left totally out of our meals.. but maybe only 50 grams pro meal... or how much that keeps your blood glucose under 7 mmol after meals

https://optimisingnutrition.com/

3. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

4. Hotpepper20000

Thank you for that link.
    For me I cannot have any grains. No matter how low the GI or how little I eat. It rises my BS right into double numbers.
    So most green above ground veggies are ok.
    I live off some cheese,eggs, Greek yogurt, berries, and animal protein.
    I love hummus but it it also rises my BS.
    I was just wondering others experiences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

I sometimes think of diabetes as a kind of grain allergy... humans have only eaten grains in large amounts the last 20.000 years at the most( but lesser than today)... so maybe we are not meant yet to eat that many grains, most sugar kinds in Europe is also made of grains.. and fruits were seasonal and not possible to eat in large doses all year round most places on the earth... and also it was hard Work even to get foods only 200 years ago.... now we can sit and eat all day without any fysical efford almost

6. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

but now those with grain allergy are fastly dying out .... and those remaining will probably be more resistant to diabetes than we are ...:sour:

7. Hotpepper20000

Not sure I agree with everything you mentioned here.
    The world population around the equator as eaten much fruit for a long time. It grew readily there year round.
    My understanding from living in Switzerland was that the sugar beet was used there. And neighbouring countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet

8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well maybe I´m wrong there in what sugars are made from... I think that people in the warmer parts of the earth have never in earlier days been able to binge eat daily in fruits ... and that they were maltnutriated if living mostly from fruits..... (too few proteins)

it seems that black people in the USA are getting diabetes more easily than do caucasians..(maybe genetically , but could be due to poverty too, and I know that people from Pakistan also gets diabetes more easy than most other etnic groups... it could be because overeating the same diets that they had in lower amounts before is more dangerous than when eaten in lower doses...

#8 Freema, Oct 4, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  9. Hotpepper20000

No worries. Makes no difference in the big picture. We all need to find what works for us.
    We are both very fortunate to have found this forum. So much to learn and so many people to help us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Hi :) I have only been vegan about seven months and am loving it. I was lacto-ovo vegetarian for 40 years running up to it.

I don't find that legumes trouble my bg too much. Before I became T2 I would eat loads of them, but now I pad them out with more veg to make them go further. I find homemade hummus less spikey than shop-bought.

I eat more tofu these days since giving up dairy, but I wouldn't consider it a staple. There are plenty of other nutritious and tasty protein sources. Apart from nuts/nuts butters/plant milks/beans/seeds, I have been eating seitan, vegan quorn and tvp.

Since I was diagnosed in January 2014, I have lost about 4 stones. I don't lose on weeks when I eat loads of peanuts, but who does? lol Tree nuts are good for snacks so I always have some in my handbag.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hotpepper20000

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Is everyone in your household vegan as well?
    I guess I'll have to do more research and slowly try to convince my Hubby to have a few more meatless meals.
    I make a fantastic vegan curry that he doesn't miss the meat in it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just me and my daughter are vegan. My son is vegetarian. The cat will eat anything :cat:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Hotpepper20000

Lol you've got great cats. Mine are pretty picky.
    Ah but the house bunny is a vegan

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. You have cats and a bunny? You must need eyes in the back of your head! :wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Hotpepper20000

Cats just sleep all day. It the bunny chewing on cords that's a problem.

16. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I know this is an old thread but I have a question.

It is do you realize that the new Five pound note contains animal fats. I understand that no one is likely to eat one but I should imagine that for vegetarians and vegans merely handling one may be distasteful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

I thought you were pulling our legs, but it's true! - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...ver-bank-of-england-vegetarians-a7445221.html

18. Yes, I heard that yesterday! Weird stuff. It does seem unnecessary especially as...

upload_2016-11-29_19-3-12.png

19. THEBOT74

THEBOT74 Type 2 · Active Member

I am looking to go vegan at the start of the year after contacting the Vegan Society for tips and to be honest, I think this is the way to go. I know there is the ethics side of it (not wearing fur, leather, etc) but diet-wise, what do you have typically for breakfast, lunch and dinner? How do you make sure you have the protein, good fats, and vitamins you need to maintain a healthy diet, but keep the carbs down? Personally I think that low carb is doable, but looking for ideas from vegans on this thread. Thanks.

20. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @THEBOT74 going vegan isn't rocket science despite the arguments raised by those who like to suck on lamb chops. The easy answer is eat plenty of protein (beans, pulses, vegetables etc), lots of fruit ... And test, test, test. One thing!! Vegan diet are generally poor in vit HAS so take s supplement. The vegan sell a multi vitamin with substantially over your daily requirement.

Tofu is good, as us seitan. I am always warbling on about its wonders. Have plenty of variety kin your diet. Vegans have sooooooo many options. Try substitute cheeses at Xmas - Cheeky, Tofutti ... And try the new Gary from Sainsbury's if you are in the UK, nut treat yourself to a laugh first and Google Gary cheese.

Look for recipe books by USA Chandra Moskovich. Too many ideas and ALL tasty

Well that's a start .. welcome to planet Veeg I've been kickin' around for years and as an ex-rugby player, I don't think it harmed me. I'm 64 now, I have an HbA1c that last time was 38 and my BP averages 130/70 with a pulse of 55.

Above all eat the things you like not what you think you ought ... but be realistic.And above all have fun!!

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook