1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Questions for Vegans

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Hotpepper20000, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Vegan Society sell the multivitamin

2. I think how you approach this will depend on many factors such as which carbs you can tolerate,whether you enjoy cooking, what your work and family arrangements are etc.

Breakfast
    I cannot tolerate many carbs in the morning so week days as I just have 200ml of almond milk with turmeric paste stirred through it. Sounds boggin, but is delicious, healthy and virtually carb free. Turmeric is also thought to lower bg and reduce inflammation. Previously I was eating Alpro yogurt with berries, nuts and spices. At the weekend I might have a fry up. It is more of a brunch if I sleep in so is two meals in one - vegan sausages, scrambled tofu, mushrooms, tomatoes, low carb toast

Lunch
    I have to eat at my desk at work and wouldn't go near their kitchen. I take in my own food - often a loaded salad bowl with things such as lettuce or spinach, hummus, veg, falafel, olives, avocado, tofu pieces, nuts, seeds whatever I have in. Or a couple of cold Linda McCartney sausages with cherry tomatoes and a spicy sauce or plant mayo. Or low carb toast and nut butter. Or dinner leftovers.

Dinner
    Could be anything! Curry, chilli, stew, soup, stir fry, cauli rice, courgetti spaghetti, pulses, tofu, seitan, tvp, certain Quorn.

Like the Welshman, I don't eat anything I don't enjoy. If you've checked out the ethical side of veganism, I suspect you will find this way of eating a piece of cake compared to eating this way "only" for health reasons. Best of luck!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. IJinendra

IJinendra · Newbie

Chickpeas are a great source of fiber and folate, and they’re also low in calories. They can help reduce blood sugar, decrease blood cholesterol and improve gut health.

Lentils are a great source of vegetarian protein and may reduce blood sugar levels compared to some other foods that are high in carbohydrates.

Black beans are effective at reducing the rise in blood sugar after a meal compared to other high-carb foods, such as rice and bread.
    Eating nuts helps your heart. Discover how walnuts, almonds and other nuts can help lower your cholesterol when eaten as part of a balanced diet. Eating nuts as part of a healthy diet may be good for your heart. Nuts contain unsaturated fatty acids and other nutrients.

point is that if you have a balanced diet then they show no bad experience to your body so consume them timely and with the proper amount so that body can convert protein to muscle with impacting digestive system

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook