Questions re aquafit, Zumba and BG levels

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've read some of the previous threads. My partner is Type 2, started using insulin in the last couple of months.

My first question is - do type 2 insulin users respond in the same way to exercise as type 1 insulin users? If not, I'll discount what I've been reading in some of the replies.

One of the answers I've seen says that an hour's active exercise uses 60gm of carbohydrate. What do you do about that practically? Do you eat that amount of extra carbs before exercise, after or what?

My partner is just beginning to achieve nearer to ok fasting BG levels. Eg this morning it was 7.7 so he had his normal breakfast at 8am, half hour walk to the gym later, had a banana at 9.30 am, spent a gentle hour in the spa part of the gym and then had a 45 minute aquafit class. His BG level straight after that was 4.3. He's never had a level that low before, so he had some glucose tablets followed by a scone. Half an hour later we had lunch, and he felt fine after that.

One of his real concerns about getting to 'normal' BG levels is having a hypo. So we need to be clearer about what to eat when.

Day after tomorrow is Zumba, so it will be breakfast at 8am, a half hour walk to the gym, and Zumba at 9.30 am for an hour. Any advice as to what to eat when are welcome.

Since it's only the last few days that he is getting near ok BG readings, I don't think there's any chance of his insulin dosage being changed - currently 18 units am and 10 units pm of Humalog 25,

Thanks

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is pretty old but nobody has answered it. First of all, his 4.3 was NOT low. That is a completely normal blood sugar. That is what he wants in fact. he might feel bad at that level because he has become used to having a high blood sugar, but if he gets his diabetes under control, he will gradually get used to having blood sugars in the normal range again. Of course, it may be falling at 4.3, and the fall itself may make him feel bad. But what you did was fine because it worked.

Reactions: 2 people