zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Hi All,
I found this forum a few months ago after started on my low carb lifestyle and thought it's time I introduced myself and get a bit more involved.

I've had T1 for 43 years. Wow, seems a long time when you write it down, I'm still pretty healthy though.
Most of my life I've had 2 needles a day, mixing protaphane and actrapid and ate to my insulin. 18 months ago, the chemist didn't have my insulin in stock, I started a bit of research and found I was way behind the times.
This triggered a few changes in my life. I changed to new insulins and pens instead of syringes, and a few months later I did a Dafne course.
Nov last year, I saw an episode of Catalyst about low carb diets and diabetes. Why hadn't any one told me about this before!
I did a couple of weeks of research and jumped in.

5 months later and I've had some good results:-
- hba1c 5.5% (down over 1% from post Dafne and over 2% from a couple of years ago)
- weight 82kg (down 14kg, 15%)
- bmi 22 (down 4 points)
- halved BP medication

I still have a few issues which hopefully I can sort out with the help of this community.
I am amazed that Diabetes Australia and every Endo in Melbourne does not support or have any in depth knowledge about T1s living on a low carb diet, when will they realise that people are adopting this lifestyle and start supporting us.

I hope I can provide some helpful advice as well, I've been doing it for a long time...
Anyone else worked out how to use Lantus in a Novopen Echo? half units and memory are a great help.

Reactions: 2 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Sorry I cant be of help re Type 1, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to say well done on your results :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All,
I found this forum a few months ago after started on my low carb lifestyle and thought it's time I introduced myself and get a bit more involved.

I still have a few issues which hopefully I can sort out with the help of this community.
I am amazed that Diabetes Australia and every Endo in Melbourne does not support or have any in depth knowledge about T1s living on a low carb diet, when will they realise that people are adopting this lifestyle and start supporting us.

Anyone else worked out how to use Lantus in a Novopen Echo? half units and memory are a great help.

Hi Zjed,

I only use pre-mixed insulins so cannot answer your question directly but I'm sure that many here will be able to.

As to your comment about Endo's - It's not limited to Oz I can assure you. The medical fraternity would have to admit that they have been getting wrong for years and I don't think that many of us expect that to happen any time soon. But a quiet revolution is taking place!

Last edited by a moderator:

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum and fab news about your recent results