Quick question to Type 2 diabetics

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My father has just been diagnosed Type 2. I asked him about getting a glucose monitor and he says he's been told he doesn't qualify for one because he doesn't inject insulin.

So, how do Type 2s know what their levels are on a daily basis? Do you need to?

I'm Type 1 and test about 10 times a day so this is bizarre to me that he can't get a monitor.

I know he could buy one fairly cheaply, but apparently the tester strips are £25 per 50!

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Katharine

Many health care trusts are banning or rationning blood test strips for type twos.

NICE guidance actually advises the test strips as part of an educational/ monitoring package. The crucial thing is that you need to know how to change your actions depending on the blood sugar results.

Intensive testing over three successive days at intervals can be helpful - so long as a knowlegable person will go over the data and make changes to eating, exercise and medications with the person who has the diabetes.

999sugarbabe

Hi Patsy,

As far as I can tell... Type 2 diabetics on medication (usually) "qualify" for self-testing, those controlled purely by diet don't.
BUT... it seems to be a postcode lottery and governed by the (£££) policies of the patient's Community Health Trust in the final analysis.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I'm on diet only,I bought my own meter then persuaded the doctor to prescribe test strips.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
sugarless sue said:
I'm on diet only,I bought my own meter then persuaded the doctor to prescribe test strips.

Same with me, and I keep of log of the foods I've eaten and the test results, that keeps the Dr (Practice Nurse) happy to give me them.

Trinkwasser

My doctor is "not permitted" to prescribe test strips, despite that she has seen the huge improvements I have made through buying my own meter and strips.

IMO it really is essential, this is basically what I did at first

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

now I am relatively stable I don't test nearly so often, only when I am eating new things or doing unexpected amounts of exertion or ill, then every so often I will run a whole day to see if anything has changed

Here's a way of working with limited strips

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2007/ ... udget.html

I am pretty convinced that if all newly diagnosed diabetics tested intensively at first, or even had a CGMS on loan for a while, the NHS would save hordes of money in the long term. But they are only interested in the short term.