Quite a good study to show to carb sceptics, from Japan

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This study relates to pre-diabetics but I feel it is just as relevant to type 2 diabetics -In my own research after seeing the low carb results I could never bring myself to set up a 'control or non-treatment' group but these people did which makes it a better study than mine - any way here is the abstract

Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy Dovepress
http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/DMSO.S62681
Retrospective study on the efficacy of a low-carbohydrate diet for impaired glucose tolerance
Satoshi Maekawa

1Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Japan Labor Health and Welfare Organization, Niigata Rosai Hospital, Joetsu, Niigata, Japan; 3Third Department of Internal Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Iseigaoka, Yahata-nishi-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka, Japan
Background: In recent years, the number of people with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) has increased steadily worldwide. It is clear that the prevention of diabetes is important from the perspective of public health, medical care, and economics. It was recently reported that a low-carbohydrate diet (LCD) is useful for achieving weight loss and glycemic control, but there is no information about the effects of the LCD on IGT. We designed a 7-day in-hospital educational program focused on the LCD for IGT.
Methods: The subjects were 72 patients with IGT (36 in the LCD group and 36 in the control group) who were enrolled from April 2007–March 2012 and followed for 12 months. We retrospectively compared the LCD group with the control group.

Results: In 69.4% of the LCD group, blood glucose was normalized at 12 months and the 2-hour plasma glucose level in the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was reduced by 33 mg/dL. In addition, the incidence of diabetes was significantly lower in the LCD group than in the control group at 12 months (0% versus 13.9%, P=0.02). The LCD group showed a significant decrease in fasting plasma glucose, hemoglobin A1c, the homeostasis model of assessment of insulin resistance value, body weight and serum triglycerides (TGs) at 12 months, while there was a significant increase of the serum high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol level.

Conclusion: The LCD is effective for normalizing blood glucose and preventing progression to type 2 diabetes in patients with IGT.

Correspondence: Satoshi MaekawaDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Japan Labor Health and Welfare Organization Niigata Rosai Hospital, 1-7-12 Touncho, Joetsu, Niigata, JapanTel +81 25 543 3123Fax +81 25 544 5210Email [email protected]

Reactions: 18 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Southport. An interesting study.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks far better than the usual diet (eatwell plate:eek:) advice for both diabtetic and pre-diabetics.

Thanks for sharing

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the low carb diet included rice at lunchtime, restricted calories to 1,300 cals per day, and didn't really have that much fat.
30% carbs
25% protein
45% fat
So it wasn't even that low carb...

Fascinating.
Thank you for finding this @Southport GP

Reactions: 2 people