Radio 4 Discussion re: Newly Diagnosed

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I was listening to Radio 4 this morning, and a professor from Glasgow university was on and they were talking about studies which were done.

The first point that they raised, was the fact that overweight men are more at risk of problems such as type 2 diabetes than woman, due to the fact that when med put on weight, the fat build up around the waist (which indicates fat build up around the liver and other organs) occurs first.

The other interesting point was that if immediately on diagnosis, you are to lose around 7KG then you have a good chance of reversing diabetes. They did go on to say, though, that the better way of going about things is with small and sustainable life changes.

All very interesting.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fencer said:
The other interesting point was that if immediately on diagnosis, you are to lose around 7KG then you have a good chance of reversing diabetes.

Didn't hear the programme but I feel this is misleading - I think it may depend on how long you had diabetes before being diagnosed - I think I probably went 4 years undiagnosed although I was back and forwards to the GP with all sorts of complaints that pointed to it :roll: - I lost 1st in two weeks and went on to lose 7 stone in all and I have in no way reversed my diabetes - I just have very good control!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
lovinglife said:
I lost 1st in two weeks and went on to lose 7 stone in all and I have in no way reversed my diabetes - I just have very good control!

Wow. Well done!

Do you feel that your control has improved since you lost all of that weight?

Stephen

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
lovinglife said:
Fencer said:
The other interesting point was that if immediately on diagnosis, you are to lose around 7KG then you have a good chance of reversing diabetes.

Didn't hear the programme but I feel this is misleading - I think it may depend on how long you had diabetes before being diagnosed - I think I probably went 4 years undiagnosed although I was back and forwards to the GP with all sorts of complaints that pointed to it :roll: - I lost 1st in two weeks and went on to lose 7 stone in all and I have in no way reversed my diabetes - I just have very good control!

Yes, I do feel that this would have to be with early detection - and this did occur to me at the time of listening to the programme. I kinda feel like it has contributed to my good control of my diabetes. Early diagnoses and immediately losing weight (one of the symptoms that told me I had to get checked was losing 2 stone, another one stone was lost after diagnosis due to exercise and healthy eating) could be responsible for the fact that my HBA1C continued to fall and that my medication was halved.