Radio Four - lunchtime today

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
An interesting feature on Radio 4 today during the 'You and Yours' programme (was on at 12:17 to 12:25 during the one hour programme, for those that want to catch it on iPlayer). A doctor having a go at Diabetes UK regarding their advice to include starchy carbs in every meal and a diabetes UK rep very badly trying to defend the reasoning behind it.

Thought it may be interesting for some of you.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
borofergie said:
Was it this guy?:
http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/05/what ... diabetics/

It's nice to see that the mainstream media is finally realising our plight.
That was it, thanks. I see he links to the radio show too.

I think this is going to confuse and worry a lot of people, who follow Diabetes UK. Their stance needs to be cleared up quickly, because their rep on the show came across really poorly.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Fencer said:
I think this is going to confuse and worry a lot of people, who follow Diabetes UK. Their stance needs to be cleared up quickly, because their rep on the show came across really poorly.

...and rightly so. They are offering the wrong advice to diabetics.

As interesting as it is, I'm not sure that I entirely agree with Biffra's conspiracy theory that Diabetes UK are kowtowing to their corporate sponsors. I think it's more down to the cognitive dissonance that Dillinger describes here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26856&p=248082&hilit=cognitive+dissonance#p248082

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I heard it on the radio earlier today.
The Doctor certainly put the Rep on the spot and she came across very poorly.

Andy

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well just posted my comment on the site. Waiting for moderation :D

Would suggest others do likewise, bring the whole starchy carb edifice crashing down. Up the revolution everyone! :wave:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Have you got a link to this site to do that? :wink:

Paul1976

Dislikes
Thanks,will have a peek now. 8) 8)

Bluefoxy

I heard it in part this morning and have just played it again on the posted website. It is the reason why I joined this forum. I have never received advice from my doctor or nurse practioner to limit my intake of carbohydrates! I have only ever been advised to eat a 'balanced' diet from the food pyramid. Just what is going on and who is right here? I also have to say that life without bread, pasta, rice and potatoes would be awful but if it helps I will have to countenance it.

A very confused and disheartened Ray

Paul1976

Dislikes
"Nurse" Death at my surgery LOVES that site and told me on the day of my diagnosis "It's the only site you'll ever need"
But I soon found out that their idea of Low GI foods puts my BG into danger levels!
If they ARE being influenced by their sponsors when it comes to dietary advice then as a charity.......... :thumbdown:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bluefoxy said:
I heard it in part this morning and have just played it again on the posted website. It is the reason why I joined this forum. I have never received advice from my doctor or nurse practioner to limit my intake of carbohydrates! I have only ever been advised to eat a 'balanced' diet from the food pyramid. Just what is going on and who is right here? I also have to say that life without bread, pasta, rice and potatoes would be awful but if it helps I will have to countenance it.

Ray I am making the assumption you are Type 2. There are a number of ways of controlling your diabetes. The eat starchy carbohydrate and lots of medication is just one. The other main two are go on insulin and a third way is reduce your starchy carbohydrates as this will allow (as Dr Briffa says) many people to reduce or even give up their medication and achieve excellent control of their blood sugars through diet alone.

This third way is what many of the people on this forum recommend. A forum of 35000 people. It is not radical and is roughly what you would be advised to do in other countries with more enlightened health care systems such as Sweden.

I was diagnosed T2 3 months ago with average BG readings in the 20's. Within 3 months my BG's are between 4 and 6.5 95% of the time i.e in the range of a non diabetic. The other 5% is when I have the occasional treat! I just take 2 x 500g sttandard Metformin tablets a day and suffer none of the normal Met problems. This forum has been an absolute lifesaver. Running at those BG levels I am actually doing the same as 19 out of 20 non diabetics although admittedly on a restricted carbohydrate diet. It is not a cure as if I eat something high in carbs I will still spike horribly.

My advise is hang around on here, read and ask lots of questions. Many of the posters on this forum are enlightened health care professionals who also want to change what goes on with diabetes care in this country in the same way as Dr Briffa does so I'm sure if any disagree with what I just written they will post their viewpoints.

Take care

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
life without bread, pasta, rice and potatoes would be awful

Ray

any change to a way of eating you've grown accustomed to is going to be difficult, and possibly (mentally) painful.
If you'd grown up in a culture which did not include these things, and then told you had to change to a diet high in them, you'd feel the same way.
Perhaps it will take evidence of an improvement in your diabetes indicators to sell you on any changes you may make.
Gorgeous omelettes, and plates of meat or fish with delicious vegetables.
I used to love mashed potato and baked potato, but hardly miss them now.
Used to love risotto.
Don't think of it as giving up foods you love.
Rather falling in love with new foods.
I'd be SHOCKED if others here didn't agree.

At the end of the day, it's your health under consideration, and that's priceless.

Be well
Geoff

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes try this one. Its actually the same one as borofergie and fencer posted up the top of the thread

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/05/...y-advice-diabetes-uk-dishes-out-to-diabetics/

Went on the "other" sites forum no mention of the program that I could see or on their facebook page either. I am quite tempted ... ... but suspect they are censoring as I don't believe that no one has said something. Don't do twitter so don't know about that.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I have gone low carb because of the advice from this forum and my BGs have almost become normal. If i had followed UK Diabetes guidlines i would have been on the slippery slope re medication. Doctor wanted me on metformin asap. I said 'nuts' ile try something different.
OK, i have had to re educate myself re foods that i used to like but i am coping and as other posters have said you can cook some very tasty dishes if you have a mind to do so.
However there are diabetics out there, several are mates of mine who will only do what they are advised to do by our doctors and nurses and they have advised them to eat carbs with every meal. I cant convince them otherwise as they say ime not medically qualified which is true. I have given them details of this forum but as yet they are not interested. Horses to water comes to mind.

Andy

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
borofergie said:
Fencer said:

...and rightly so. They are offering the wrong advice to diabetics.

It's not rightly so that people are getting confused. See the post below to see what I was talking about.

Bluefoxy said:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've just posted on the DUK FB page:

Your & Yours BBC Radio 4 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 5_03_2012/

12 minutes in - the dangers of a high carbohydrate as recommended by Diabetes UK.
4 years ago I was developing crippling neuropathy - having followed the D uk recommended diet for 7 years.
Following advice on the internet I cut out all the obvious carbs. In 3 months I was well again, out of pain & other conditions improved.
4 years on (at 73) I am still well - & preparing for an evening flood-lit tennis.
Dr Briffa is right!