Raising awareness of Diabetes and heart attack/ amputations

jacks69

I am a diabetic type 2 on insulin - 5 injections a day and so is my ex husband. 2 years ago i suffered a heart attack which shocked me as i was only 40 years old and had no stresses in my life really.
I had been suffering from what i would describe as nerve pain - similar to what u would get if you had a trapped nerve in your neck/shoulder. Following several visits to hosp desperate for pain relief that you cannot get over the counter at a chemist - I was diagnosed as having minor heart attacks and luckily for me the biggest one whilst in the hosp so received treatment quickly. Even then i argued with the doctor that i could not be having a heart attack - whereby he had to give me a lesson on reading ecg printouts to prove it to me.
IT seems that diabetics do not always have the same symptoms as a non diabetic when having a heart attack due to nerve damage/neuropathy - some have little or no symptoms till the heart begins to fail. I ended up having emerg stent operation to clear arteries and am thankful that i was in the right place at the right time - so i really want to raise awareness of this serious complication in diabetics
My ex husband had another serious complication in that he got a blister through playing a days golf in new golf shoes which didnt heal very fast - as is another complication of diabetes (slow healing) - infection had set in behind the scabbing of the blister and due to neuropathy he couldnt feel any pain so wasnt aware of the problem until gangrene began to set in. I found him one afternoon slurring his speach and his foot had swollen in a matter of hours - the next day he had half his foot amputated - so once again i would like to raise awareness that slow healing needs to be monitored severely to ensure that infection does not set in especially in those suffering neuropathy/nerve damage as the sufferer does not feel anything going wrong. These complications apply to any diabetic whether type one or type 2

WhitbyJet

Re: Raising awareness of Diabetes and heart attack/ amputati

jacks69 - a scary message to read, but an important one.

We really need to do our best to achieve good control over our bg levels, keeping them at, or as close to, non-diabetic levels at all times.
I have developed complications, luckily none of them severe. I have been lucky in that I have been able to reverse them, not taking any more risks. Whatever illness life might throw at me in future I am going to make sure its not going to be due to high bg levels.

I hope that you can be healthy now, that you can reverse your complications.

All the best x

jacks69

Thanks WhitbyJet - I think we all get a bit blase at times thinking - will do better next day etc - but as both myself and my ex husband found out - things can so easily spiral out of control and we get pulled up sharp.
I consider myself lucky in some respects that am still here but importantly am now getting proper support and guidance - was a very scary time for me but we are never too old to learn hey

KGW

Re:Raising awareness io amputation
I have been a diabetic for the past 9 Years and have always observed the basic rules diet, tablets,insulin and exersize i have been able to keep my BG well under control also colesterol etc. But all of thet charged 4 months ago when i stubbed my toe working in my shed despite dressing it straight away and keeping a close eye it. Eventually i got anti-biotics from my doctor even these didnt work my BG went ballistic from 6s to 19 and 20s my toe was amputated and now im about to have a lower leg amputation. This isnt a sob story but a reality check to everyone with diabetice really be careful doing anything at all, dont wrap yourself in cotton wool just be very vigilant about foot care and cuts even bruises. My next problem will be with DVLA but thats another sad tale.
Everyone GO Careful