1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Raising awareness of high blood pressure and diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by ButtterflyLady, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

High blood pressure has been called the silent killer because often there are no symptoms of this condition, which can cause heart attack and stroke.

Everyone should get their blood pressure checked but especially people with risk factors such as T2 diabetes, or prediabetes, or who are overweight, or over 45, or have a family history of high BP.

NICE guidelines say T2s should have their BP checked once a year. My high BP was diagnosed in my 30s, a few years before being diagnosed with T2 (I have a family history of high BP and was overweight).

Some HCPs check BP at every visit or at least every 3-6 months. You can also buy a BP monitor to use at home.

Here is some info about high blood pressure:
    http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics

• Like Like x 4
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@CatLadyNZ Not just T2s, all Diabetics should be keeping an eye on blood pressure as the additional insulin in the system of most diabetics can increase the risk of unpleasant things such as Atherosclerosis.

3. ButtterflyLady

Cool, thanks for that. I wasn't sure how the condition interacted with T1 and other types.

4. tigerlily72

tigerlily72 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Still worried about mine and controlling my diabetes with diet only. My BP readings have been 206/109, 188/100 and when the DSN took it at my first visit it was 162/100. Now on meds after visiting the surgery a few days ago and getting the reading of over 200. Still feeling rubbish and very tired and quite down

5. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Hi Tigerlilly,
    Did they do bloods and check your potassium? If so do you know what it was?
    regards
    Derek

#5 lindisfel, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  6. tigerlily72

tigerlily72 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No they didn't. I do have to book an appointment for a blood test and for my BP to be checked again and to make sure the meds I'm taking are "right".

7. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Hi Tigerlilly,
    I had hypertension for a very long time and eventually they found out I had very high levels of the hormone aldosterone.
    The net result is very high bp and often low potassium but not always. Ideally potassium should be above 4.0.
    Between 1% and 10% of serious hypertensives have undiagnosed Conn's Syndrome as I have. Basically the body cannot get rid of excess sodium. Salt intolerance.
    Normal bp meds do not work very well and the aldosterone antagonists spironolactone or eplerenone are used.

regards
    Derek

#7 lindisfel, Oct 20, 2015 at 10:21 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  8. ButtterflyLady

Similarly, some people with sleep apnoea find that BP meds don't work very well. Fortunately for me, the first BP med I tried did the trick, but if you find you need to take more than one BP med, then it's a good idea to ask for further tests, in case there is another condition affecting it. Most people seem to do fine on one BP med though.

9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Also, high blood pressure increases the risk of diabetic retinopathy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook