Ramipril & Insulin Sensitivity

pandaburrh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 22 and with my huge family history of high blood pressure and heart attacks from it plus my cousin who is also type 1 and similar age to me having a heart attack (She refused to take the medication offered)
I was recommended to start taking ACE inhibitors as my blood pressure was getting higher each time I went to clinic or my GP and high levels of protein in my urine.

I was taking 30u of Lantus twice daily and 2u:10 of Humalog.
Since being on Ramipril for 2.5 weeks I have been having an increasing amount of hypos and having to decrease my insulin usage.

Now I am taking 20u of Lantus twice daily and now 1u:10 of Humalog. While I'm happy for this decrease of insulin usage,
Is this normal with use of ACE inhibitors?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very unusual, I've been on a low dose of Ramipril for the last 10+ years and can't recall this happening, however if it's reduced your insulin usage then that's good :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Same as noblehead myself. Can't say I ever saw much change when starting it.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I am on 10mg daily with no effect to my BGL. Have you lost weight or eaten meals with less carbs recently? That could be a reason to why you are having to take less insulin.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I take Ramipril 10mg (been on it for 15years now) and it's never had any effect on my Diabetes. I think you need to go and see your GP to discuss your "problem"!

pandaburrh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't lost any weight at all or eaten less carbs pretty much same old diet, My weight has been stable.
I'm seeing my DSN next week so I will ask her.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good. Don't forget to post your findings, after seeing your DSN.

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started on 2.5 mg Ramipril daily and I've had to cut my Levemir from 18u twice daily to 12u twice daily to avoid hypos. The effect on my blood glucose was immediate, after just one dose of Ramipril. It does appear to be a rare but known side-effect. It will be interesting to see if this continues and what happens if I increase the dose to improve my blood pressure.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's good - any other medication that helps to lower blood sugars is great in my opinion. The Ramipril 10mgs and Doxazosin 4mg I take for Blood Pressure have NO effect on lowering my sugars.