1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ranges

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Robbieswan, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have read several threads about early morning highs. I too suffer from this, but the readings posters are no higher than 13 ish. I wonder if those people could actually tell us how they feel at their most high. I start to feel really " woozy" if my bloods go above 18, but that's just me. I have had a few readings in the 13's and feel no different. My point is whilst we keep a monitor on our bloods, I don't see the point to be concerned if they are in the low teens unless you are feeling unwell. A mighty rich statement from me I know, but I have suffered 2 attacks in the space of 11 days and have resigned myself to the fact my body will tell me something is wrong. Up until now it's signs I have been too stubborn and stupid to heed the warning signs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

You're wrong with that comment @Robbieswan ..... low teens numbers are unacceptable (granted a liver dump might trigger such a figure) at any time. You have long term targets ahead and morning readings (though tough to tackle) are a priority.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robbieswan

I am happy to stand corrected. Explain to me why they are not acceptable. Are there any long terms affects of having low teen readings. I am not being condescending, I just need to understand. Johnny 5 needs input.

4. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I'll be brief .... 7.8 is the high end limit. You would also know by now that 4s and 5's and 6's are ok as well

Everyone will hit double figures at some point given a bad food choice / liver dump / stress / sickness or any other number of factors. Double figures (excluding the above issues) are certainly not

Meticulous records must be kept to track the trends. I sense you're rushing again rather than identifying (slowly) the underlying cause(s). Testing takes no back seat,

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Robbieswan

[​IMG]

I am keeping meticulous records and have an app on my phone too to work out my average. So much to learn and yes I thinkni am rushing it. You are right.

6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Do you have a corresponding table that records the meals to accompany those readings? I'd be spreadsheetng them in excel or some other similar program and set it up so you know to tie an errant (or good) reading to the wrong or right food

7. Robbieswan

I want to but don't know how to

8. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Robbieswan,

It's one of those strange ones... just because you feel okay it doesn't mean the highs (low teens are good for you). There's a lot of complications linked to having blood glucose levels out of range.

Likewise someone is pre diabetic (at risk) might think they don't need to change anything at all because they feel fine.

I used to have a similar outlook and tended to think a 9 or a 10 is fine because I'm diabetic anyway so why aim for targets of a non diabetic person. I was foolish and consequently have a HbA1c higher than it should be.

I'd encourage you to reconsider your view of what good looks like and tighten control if you can. You may not feel ill in the low teens because your body is used to it. It's the same with hypo awareness, without good control the symptoms disappear.

Generally I can tell when I'm above 10 due to thirstiness, change in mood and sometimes headaches. Above that and I feel awful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lincka01

Lincka01 · Member

Can you tell me what a ‘liver dump’ is. New to this as you can perhaps tell.

10. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Dawn Phenomenon (Liver Dump) Dawn phenomenon occurs in the morning. Dawn phenomenon is the term given to an increase in blood sugar in the morning caused by the body's release of certain hormones. It is a relatively common phenomenon amongst diabetics.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hammer1964

Hammer1964 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I feel ‘strange’ if my blood sugars are 10 and if they are 12/13 then I feel bad.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think no higher than 7.8 is quite a lot for some people who have levels over that to achieve even with the right diet

#12 Pinkorchid, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If spreadsheets are not your thing then get a large exercise book and rule some vertical lines for DATE, TIME, BG, MEAL. The time could be the actual time or "Before Dinner", "2Hrs after Dinner" etc. if that is more convenient. Try to include quantity of food as well as description, particularly for any higher carb foods. Spreadsheets are good because you can re-order the data or calculate averages etc. but the main thing is to keep a record, so that you can look back and say what foods and what quantity are ok for your target BG and a list on paper will do that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Where did I say 7.8 was acceptable? I was discussing "ranges", not absolutes. A FAR more experienced poster taught me that from day dot.

15. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You did not say it was acceptable you said... 7.8 it is the high end limit.... but for some who struggle they find they can't achieve it that low

16. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

You're splitting straws ... it is a target to aim for and one I set about achieving as quickly as I could. Anything consistently under, then fine. Finished with this nonsense

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

hey @Mike D and @Pinkorchid
    I have read through the entire thread and you are both making valid points.
    ......and I don't think you are that far apart

mike is completely right in that 7.8 ( to around 9.0 for a type 1 ) as an upper limit of a controlled T1 or T2 is a
    goal to be strived for.

pinkorchid is also right in countering with the struggle that all of us can find at times ( both type 1 and type 2 )

I am scratching my head a bit as I answer this -- I have been battling type 1 for over 45 years -- ( the first 20 years or so we didn't have BG meters )

I don't actually think you are that far apart in what you are trying to say.
    ( perhaps I have my love head on tonight so I want us all to get along )

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook