ranitidine and metformin

chrissieworne

Hi all, am a bit worried, have been prescribed Ranitidine 150mg x 2 daily for acid reflux and to protect stomach as I am on other meds as well. However I am on 500mg sr metformin a day as well and I thought I read somewhere these two don't mix. I have been advised to take one Ranitidine 30 mins b4 breakfast then eat brekkie and take my thryroxine, aspirin and simvastatin to "get then out of the way". Then the met at tea time with food, then the second Ranitidine b4 bed. If I need an antacid can have anytime so long as not witihn 2 hrs of the Ranitidine. Does this sound okay? My GP said not to worry, but I still am!!
Thanks Chrissie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Might be able to put your mind at rest here.......I have been on Metformin and Ranitidine since 2004. I have had not one problem with this combination. Mine was prescribed after a heart op to reduce acidity in the stomach. I still take both.

The BNF59 has nothing showing any interaction with Metformin.....if there was I wouldn't be taking it......hope that helps. :D

Ken

chrissieworne

Hi
Thanks for that, don't know why I worry so, don't seem to cope very well lately, :oops: had such awful stomach pains and generally feel as if I am struggling a bit!! its put my mind at rest. I thought Simvastatin was best late at night but my GP says theres no evidence there is anything in that so thats why she suggested getting all the other meda out the way first thing.

My poor tum must wonder whats hit it!!!

Thanks again
Chrissie :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
chrissieworne said:
Hi
Thanks for that, don't know why I worry so, don't seem to cope very well lately, :oops: had such awful stomach pains and generally feel as if I am struggling a bit!! its put my mind at rest. I thought Simvastatin was best late at night but my GP says theres no evidence there is anything in that so thats why she suggested getting all the other meda out the way first thing.

My poor tum must wonder whats hit it!!!

Thanks again
Chrissie :D

Chrissie.
I wonder why you are taking the Simvastatin in the morning, it is more usually taken at night as is the case with all Statins ? I have always been told to take statin's at night. As to your stomach pains, besides Ranitidine as CarbsRok mentions what type of Aspirin are you taking, is it a dispersible one ?

All three meds, Simvastatin, Ranitidine and Aspirin can cause gastro-intestinal problems.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you need to discuss this with your GP as he/she knows your full medical history.

Ken

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
chrissieworne said:
Hi all, am a bit worried, have been prescribed Ranitidine 150mg x 2 daily for acid reflux and to protect stomach as I am on other meds as well. However I am on 500mg sr metformin a day as well and I thought I read somewhere these two don't mix.

LIke Ken I was taking Ranitidine with Metformin for some time without any problems. I was only changed over to Lansoprazole when other meds were introduced for an arrhythmia and there was a possible clash.

I think perhaps you may have read about Cimetdine which was about before the introduction of Ranitidaine and that does have problems with a long list of other meds including Metformin. I was initially prescribed Cimetadine many years ago but because of doubts and reservations from my GP at the time I was put onto Ranitidine as soon as it was available.

chrissieworne

Hi
I was having stomach pains and burning in the gullet and in my back (recently had 5 weeks of max steroid and antibiotics for a breast abscess)which the GP thought upset my stomach and she put the pain down to that and reflux so started me on Omeprazole, they really upset me and the stomach pain got worse and painful bloating and trapped wind, she then put me on Ranitidine 150mg twice per day instead and since then its much much better.

The Thyroxine has always been taken in the morning as has the aspirin, its 75mg enteric coated, not dispersible, been on that years for a clotting problem.

I take the metformin at tea time half way through my meal with plenty of water and usually take the Simvastatin at night b4 bed, however, now I have to take the Ranitidine at bedtime she suggested I take the Simvastatin in the morning as well.

Do you think I could take the Simvastatin at night with the Raitidine then?

Thanks Chrissie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Chrissie.
I can't tell you what to do about how you take your tablets, you should follow your GP's instructions.

All I know is that there seems to be some contradictions :

1. I take Ranitidine and a Statin, the statin last thing at night and the Ranitidine in the early evening, have done for years without any problems.

2. You really should ask for a dispersible Aspirin as the normal Aspirin can damage the lining of the stomach, which is why I was prescribed dispersible after my Heart Op, 3xby-pass in 2004.

You have to discuss this with your GP or at the Pharmacist for advice on when and how to take these drugs.