Rapid weight loss - TMI - don't try this at home kids!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Well, I did a bad bad thing.
I rode to far and too hard in the 30C heat yesterday, and got seriously overheated.
Subsequent research suggests that I was into heat exhaustion but not full blown heat stroke.

Despite drinking what i thought was enough, about 5 miles from home after 47+ miles of cycling (well about 42 miles and then a rest for half an hour in a pub with a pint of beer before the last 12 miles home) I started to slow right down and feel very unusual.
I also had griping pains and the urge to go to the toilet which is unusual for me because I usually go once in the morning at the start off the day.

About 2 miles from home I realised that I had to stop, and took shelter in a nice shady bus shelter, drank some water and poured some more over my head and lay down for a rest.

After a while I shed my cycling top and a cap I wear as a sun visor, and started off very slowly cycling on the pavement at walking pace. This got me home, if not comfortably at least without feeling any worse.

Dash to the loo immediately, and just in time. Quite startling, really.

After some time, sure that nothing else was likely to happen, I had a cool shower and stretched out to rest.

I thought I was sorted, but, being aware that as usual I was exercising on my Bullet Resistant Coffee and it was mid afternoon I thought I should eat a little something. Apple and cheese seemed something my body would not object to.

However after the first slice of apple and a tiny bite of cheese I had the sudden "What? I can't be about to hurl! Oh!! Oooops!!!!" and a rush to the loo where I chucked up what seemed to be twice the amount of water that I had drunk.

After another lie down all seemed to be back to normal and I could eat, drink and wee so not dehydrated.

Two main lessons.

(1) Beware the heat. Once you over heat then you can lose awareness of how hot it really is, and also how hot you are. Heat exhaustion can be a dangerous thing if you don't catch it in time.

(2) If you really want to lose 6 lbs in half a day, I still wouldn't recommend it. Yes, I weighed myself after i had recovered and I had lost 6 lbs since the morning. Weighed myself this morning and I was still 4 lbs down from yesterday morning.

It does make me wonder how much "spare" water we carry around. I seem to be hydrated OK despite being 4 pounds down. My thighs look a bit thinner, though.

Interestingly I lost more weight than I did after having to empty my bowel out recently for a colonoscopy (which went really well).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rode to far and too hard in the 30C heat yesterday, and got seriously overheated.
Subsequent research suggests that I was into heat exhaustion but not full blown heat stroke.

Despite drinking what i thought was enough, about 5 miles from home after 47+ miles of cycling (well about 42 miles and then a rest for half an hour in a pub with a pint of beer before the last 12 miles home) I started to slow right down and feel very unusual.
I also had griping pains and the urge to go to the toilet which is unusual for me because I usually go once in the morning at the start off the day.

About 2 miles from home I realised that I had to stop, and took shelter in a nice shady bus shelter, drank some water and poured some more over my head and lay down for a rest.

After a while I shed my cycling top and a cap I wear as a sun visor, and started off very slowly cycling on the pavement at walking pace. This got me home, if not comfortably at least without feeling any worse.

Edited to add, I agree with @helensaramay 's suggestion of little and often. You might find taking a pinch of salt with your drinks over the next few days to be helpful too.

After some time, sure that nothing else was likely to happen, I had a cool shower and stretched out to rest.

I thought I was sorted, but, being aware that as usual I was exercising on my Bullet Resistant Coffee and it was mid afternoon I thought I should eat a little something. Apple and cheese seemed something my body would not object to.

However after the first slice of apple and a tiny bite of cheese I had the sudden "What? I can't be about to hurl! Oh!! Oooops!!!!" and a rush to the loo where I chucked up what seemed to be twice the amount of water that I had drunk.

After another lie down all seemed to be back to normal and I could eat, drink and wee so not dehydrated.

Two main lessons.

(1) Beware the heat. Once you over heat then you can lose awareness of how hot it really is, and also how hot you are. Heat exhaustion can be a dangerous thing if you don't catch it in time.

(2) If you really want to lose 6 lbs in half a day, I still wouldn't recommend it. Yes, I weighed myself after i had recovered and I had lost 6 lbs since the morning. Weighed myself this morning and I was still 4 lbs down from yesterday morning.

It does make me wonder how much "spare" water we carry around. I seem to be hydrated OK despite being 4 pounds down. My thighs look a bit thinner, though.

Interestingly I lost more weight than I did after having to empty my bowel out recently for a colonoscopy (which went really well).

LittleGreyCat, you've probably heard me drone on and on and on about hydration. Having, once a long time ago been very ill due to dehydration. I had an underlying condition that made me very ill, but the dehydration stepped the seriousness up dramatically.

Latterly, having spent a lot of time in the tropics and sailing in extreme, and sustained heatI have still been caught out the odd time.

For me, and for my OH, it takes a few days to really get over a "decent" dehydration as our bodies can struggle to take on board (and keep on board) enough fluid. This is likely a contributory factor in your weight loss. You may find creep back over a few days.

I don't know how you feel in yourself, but I know if I've had to claw back from dehydration, it can take a few days to feel really over it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Two main lessons.

Well cats shouldn't cycle in that full fur coat.
I can relate having lost 5ibs in one go after a sweaty boxercise class and then put it straight back on.
Crazy jockeys/muscle men also do this dehydration thing to 'make weight' or show off their biceps to best advantage! (saunas, diuretics, not drinking any fluids)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for the good wishes.
I feel slightly stunned but otherwise fine.
Will be taking it a bit more gently for the next few days.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went out Bank Holiday Saturday to a pub where the morris and maypole had been requested with the promise of free food and drink, bottled water etc. etc. and just by some bad luck I happened to leave behind the bottles I was going to take with me when I went out to pack the car - Oh I don't need to go back inside, I thought, there will be free drinks - only there weren't - oh no - that free water is for the locals - the parking was for the locals so we had to park where we could and walk back with all the instruments, there were queues to the door to buy drinks, the bar staff knew nothing about anything free for the performers - and such a bad atmosphere.
We did the sets as required, and the people who had come for the festivities enjoyed it - but even with several pints of fluid I had managed to buy, I had to stagger into the pub and beg for water after playing music for the maypole. We were out in the sun from just before noon until after 4 pm, so needless to say, we will not be returning there. I had such a headache and kept drinking water for a couple of hours to rehydrate.
Not a nice experience at all and entirely unnecessary.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a few nasty reactions to the heat over the years, so I sympathise.

Nowadays I avoid exertion, keep drinking, and use a lot of salt.

Next time, maybe put electrolytes in your water bottle? Makes a big difference.