Ratio change during school holidays?

Rocky Racoon

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everybody,

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with T1 in August this year.

This week he has been high most of the time. We rarely do correction doses for him as they sometimes over-correct to a hypo.

On 2 occasions this week he had glucose readings of over 18 (2hrs after eating) and we just sat him down with a glass of water infront of the TV. 45 mins later he was having a hypo (lowest of the readings was 3)

Anyway, the last school holiday was spent mostly high, then he went back to school and everything corrected itself.
This holiday looks like a repeat of the previous one with all the high readings. I was wondering if he would benefit from having a higher carb-insulin ratio for the holidays and then put him back down once school re-starts?

Does anyone else have success with different sets of ratios for different occasions?

Thanks - Ste

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Rocky
difficult to give an exact opinion on this as being D we are all individuals.
In my experience I find that my ratios change within a 24 hour period - let alone for an in school / out of school scenario.

Have you spoken with your son's care team to talk through any proposed changes -- that can be a good place to start.

your son can / will be also possibly producing some of his own insulin still ( honeymoon period) and this can make control more of a challenge.

It has been a long time ( 43 years)since I was diagnosed but one of the key words from my day was "routine".
this is a boring word and not a word people like to hear but the more routine there is the more chance of keeping things on an even keel as possible.

all the best !!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Rocky Racoon, more than likely your lad is more active at school and that will explain why his ratio is different to that at home and when on school holidays, kids burn a lot of energy running around playing.

Just the same have a chat with his diabetes nurse who will advise you on adjusting his insulin during the holidays.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, as a teacher I find my ratios drop during the holidays. I think mine is a no stress thing. Noble head has probably sussed it. He's doing less and a different routine. The DN would be my first port of call if I was new to this.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@martina has had problems with highs and corrections etc for school hols with daughter.

Firstly... If a reading of say 18... Please wash hands thoroughly.. And re test. To drop to 3 within 45 mins indicates more to me that the 18 reading may have had someting on hands.....

However... Are you encouraged by your health team to have 230g carbs a day? To have snacks in between meals?

I know @martina goes thru same each holiday. Her daughter has a pump but diagnosed initially around your sons age. Hols and indeed some weekends can be problematic. Sometimes we can sort quicker than other times. I know it is so hard for parents......

It could be a combination of basal rate or bolus- thats why I ask about advice you have been given ref eating.

Sometimes it helps to be able to do a basal test but this is hard for children and generally healthcare officials do not even mention it.

I don't know if your son on MDI or injections but which ever- there is a way to lower readings if you could answer the above questions please?

I'm not a health care professional. I just know @martina and daughter well and been T1 30 years. I'm not an expert but I do know 2nd hand that peobs can occur for hols... You definitely aren't the only one.

Reactions: 4 people