1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Re-using lancets??

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by CathyN, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CathyN

CathyN Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

In Gretchen Becker's book TYPE 2 DIABETES THE FIRST YEAR she mentions that some people re-use lancets and that this is ok, as long as they are not shared (obviously) and are used on pre-washed hands (obviously).

Do any of you re-use lancets - if so, how long do you go before getting new ones??

CathyN x

2. Sparklygal

Sparklygal · Active Member

I have actually been using the same lancet for ages, I have a one touch monitor and accuchek pen (dont ask lol). there were about 6 preloaded in the pen and I've only used 3 in about a year or two. In saying that if i could find my one touch pen i'd be changing lancets fairly regularly. Sorry I haven't actually answered your post! :oops:

3. BaliRob

BaliRob Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have never changed mine - it is not blunt either - I will not shock you by telling you how many years of use it has had. Clean bag, clean hands, clean life (ha ha ha) you will be ok.

4. catza

catza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I change my lancet when it feels uncomfortable doing a test. Each can last for weeks and my current one has been in use for at least a couple of months. At the rate I am using them my initial buy of 200 lancets will last for the next 20 years. :D

5. Paul1976

Paul1976 · Well-Known Member

Only when it feels blunt and makes my finger throb,I've got loads of them so could change more often but I don't feel the need to. :D

6. Paul_c

Paul_c Type 2 · Well-Known Member

fresh one every day

7. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I change mine if it starts to hurt. Get a nice, fresh SHARP one!

Once every couple of months...

8. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I usually change mine twice a day - that is testing upwards of 10 times though.

9. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I rotate the lancet drum once a day.

10. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I use my lancets for ages and don't wash my wrist before I test either. No damage so far in 9 years.
    Hana

11. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use mine for months on end in fact I've never had to get another prescription for them! I don't wash my hands before using it I don't see the need to.

12. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I use a new one each day. I don't see the point in a new one each test.

13. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My only query would be if something sweet was on your fingers is it possible that it could get on the lancet - I don't know?

I certainly wash my hands before each test as I've seen the wrong readings by not doing so. I had a BS of 28 one night and I ran to the bathroom in a panic to wash hands and re-test - ahh BS of 8 .................and breathe!!!

14. lisamariebrankin

lisamariebrankin · Active Member

My daughter was diagnosed 2months ago, we use a fresh lancet each test!!

15. docvern

docvern · Member

think the general concensus is to use them for long time,,,,like i do ,,,i thought i was the only lazy one!!!!!!!!!!

16. Elc1112

Elc1112 · Well-Known Member

I tend to change every two days - it hurts less that way!

17. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Hey there!

I try to rotate the drum every time so I always use a fresh lancet - although I do forget sometimes. I don't deliberately re-use lancets and I never re-use needles. I feel that diabetes gives me enough worries with higher risks of all sorts of infections and complications and I don't want to add to this by re-using items that are specifically designed as single-use. You wouldn't re-use a plaster, so why re-use lancets?

Smidge

18. abs

abs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I change each time, however I get them on script. Or test at work using individual ones. Always wash my hands to do it or if I'm up with my horses use a baby wipe to clean hand.

19. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quite glad to see that it's fairly safe to re-use them, provided you are sensible about clean hands etc. I don't get them on prescription, and I was buying them myself to test different foods and their effect on me. Although considering how sore I find it, I may have to continue changing quite often.

Does alternative site testing hurt less (especially with re-used lancets)?

20. BlindFaith

BlindFaith · Well-Known Member

I use one lancet a day and test 4/5 times a day, I wash my hands before each use and try to use a different finger - I end up with bruised fingers otherwise!!

I've not had any problems so far.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook