Re-using Test Strip Pots

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I know many of you don't get test strips so may not know what I'm talking about - but these are solid little plastic pots, about 100mm high and 45mm in diameter, with a hinged lid. They have a label on which is usually very easy to peel off, and when they are empty they sit there saying "Please find a use for me"! Much too good to throw away!

I don't know what I was thinking of with these measurement - must have picked up a scale rule! The true measurements of my Freestyle pots are 52mm x 25mm. Sorry!

If I'm going to be away for a night or two I put a day's pills in one and write the appropriate date on the lid with a fine marker pen. I put them in my handbag or my washbag - very useful!

Grazer uses them to put used lancets in while away - I do that sometimes too.

I save some up for my brother - he makes and flies model aircraft (I suppose it takes all sorts :roll: ) and finds them just the right size for small quantities of enamel paint, or mixed glue.

I make glass bead jewellery (I told you it takes all sorts :lol: ) and they are a handy size for small quantities of beads - good secure lids, too.

Failing all else, they're great on top of garden canes, now we don't have 35mm film pots any more, to stop you blinding yourself when you bend down between the plants, weeding.

Any more ideas?

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I put a few sweeteners in them and keep one in each handbag. I also keep abeads in them. I wish they were transparent.
Hana

Grazer

They hold a large shot of single malt whisky for smuggling in to places! Who would check a diabetics strip box? Probably not the answer you wanted......... :oops:

BlindFaith

Grazer said:
They hold a large shot of single malt whisky for smuggling in to places! Who would check a diabetics strip box? Probably not the answer you wanted......... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have lots of tiny garnets - I think they'll go in one of the pots quite nicely so I don't lose them.
I may also put my slightly more "special" crystals in them as well.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use mine to pop in the old lancets and strips. Fraid I was less discreet than Grazer, a small pop bottle sufficed for the voddie.

Defren

dawnmc said:
I use mine to pop in the old lancets and strips. Fraid I was less discreet than Grazer, a small pop bottle sufficed for the voddie.

I use mine for used lancets too. It seems safer than what my LA requires, which is them wrapped and binned. The little pots are tough, so the refuse collectors are safe.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Handy for keeping sewing needles or drawing pins in :thumbup:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I actually keep emulsion paint in mine after decorating so if I've got any child damage to touch up later on,I don't have to get the big pot of out of the garage and i then only need an artists paint brush! A very boring but handy tip

Reactions: norbitonite

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Reckon they are more valuable than the strips lol

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
lol it seems so.

jopar

I wouldn't fancy putting anything for consumption in them, as they've been treated with chemicals to stop moisture building up and ruining the test strips..

But yet, I've got all snorts of things in several pots, needles,pins, small nails etc..

LaughingHyena

I seem to end up with them around the house, storing various pins, needles (the sewing kind), beads etc. I have some in the camping kit too, great for small amounts of hand cream, shampoo etc. I need to get better at labling them though, it can take me a long time to find the right one.

I hadn't thought about them being treated with anything inside, I was thinking I could use them for stock powder and herbs as well. While it might not be great for long term storage I think I'll porbably risk it for a couple of days camping.

I have a couple as firelighting kit, with cotton wool balls and vasaline. I'm trying to work out a way to attach them to the firesteel without stopping them being waterproof.

I sent a batch into my kids school when they were making musical instruments, strip pot + split peas = instant shaker. At home I made some which I sewed inside felt covers. There is no chance the kids will accidentaly open those, I did spend this morning hovering up the split peas form the school ones, but hey now I can re reuse the pots :lol:

DH has used a few of them to house small electronic projects he's been making.

Mileana

When I go water colouring in the Forest, they are so handy to have water in to just dip and mix. I have a bigger container, but can't have that one in my left hand while holding the paper and using my right so easily.

They're also good for bait when going fishing as I normally cba with a giant fishing 'suitcase'. Take what fits in my vest, really.

I've undone the lid and label of a few of them and stick a flower in them in my bathroom window sill. It's only about an inch wide.

My test strips come in 2 inch by 1 inch containers - my ketone stick ones are larger, like Viv's test strip containers, though.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've just posted a correction to my original measurements - I'd been drawing plans at 1:20 and must have got confused with the scale rule :oops: . Mine are 52mm x 25mm, which is for Freestyle Lite. The pot for the Bayer Contour strips is 52mm x 30mm.

Hana wished they were transparent. Would be even more useful! A tip from a professional embroiderer friend of mine - stick a bead (or button) on top of the container with a scrap of sellotape or similar, to illustrate the contents.

Viv 8)

evilhamster

i use them to store my meds in got a bout 60 days meds ready in the tubs just pick a new one up each day
and its great for going on hols you just take 1 tub for each days holiday :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Brother labelling machine would be a fine accessory to re-used pots. These produce sticky back labels so you don't have to open the pots to see what's in them.

I used my labeller to label the 50 odd mains adapters in this house. Why don't the manufacturers say what they are for when they supply them with a device?

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Grazer said:
What a Guy!!! that's got to be the top ranking answer for me. never fear Gazer's here, with the Bar :clap: :clap: :clap:

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I use them for putting the used strips in, and I use the meter pouch to keep my money in notes only, in lancet part as it never strays far from my side.