re Victoza

sunshine girl

Hi

I have ben a diabetic for some 10 -12years. I started on Insulin, but after loosing over 10 stone in weight went on to tablet and diet control only. My consultant has now decided to put me onto Victoza. I started it on 13.3.12 on 0.6 mg daily and on 20.3.12 increased it to 1.2mg. My problem is that my sugar levels appear to be increasing not decreasing. I inject first thing in the morning before my breakfast, and after testing my sugar levels. Has anyone else experienced this problem. How did you overcome it. I am not due to see my consultant for nine months.

Thanks in advance.
Wendy

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
What are the tablets you are taking in conjunction with the Victoza?

sunshine girl

Diabetic wise I take 2 Metformin SR500mg twice a day. Gliclazide 80 mg 1 twice a day. Before I started on Victoza I was on Sitagliptin as well, but stopped them when I started Victoza. I also take for other conditions.

Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg one per day
Lanzoprazole 15mg one per day
Lisinopril 20mg one twice a day
Losartan 50 mg one per day
Quinine sulphate 300mg one per day
Simvastatin 10mg one per day
Solifenacin 10mg one per day

I am also on Warfarin, doses vary on this depending on my INR.

Thanks for your interest
Wendy

TaheraAhmed

Hi

I have ben a diabetic for some 10 -12years. I started on Insulin, but after loosing over 10 stone in weight went on to tablet and diet control only. My consultant has now decided to put me onto Victoza. I started it on 13.3.12 on 0.6 mg daily and on 20.3.12 increased it to 1.2mg. My problem is that my sugar levels appear to be increasing not decreasing. I inject first thing in the morning before my breakfast, and after testing my sugar levels. Has anyone else experienced this problem. How did you overcome it. I am not due to see my consultant for nine months.

Thanks in advance.
Wendy
Hi Wendy,
I have been on victoza for 2 years. I was prescribed to use it at bedtime after dinner. It's worked well for me. I am also taking Amaryl 3 in the morning and glipita M50/500 at night. The only dietary precaution I take is to avoid sugary food and eat light at dinner.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I have been on victoza till last year but was stopped in January last year as my GFR was low. GFR improved to 60 this year and started taking it again in from oct last year.
I read in blood sugar 101 that it causes abnormal beta and alpha cell growth in pancreas. Research from diabetics who died from other causes.it is found to cause pancreatic and thyroid carcinomas in animal studies. Has any one else read about this or done any research reading on Victoza? I am quite worried about it.
Diabetic for 12 years. LCHF diet since november last year..
Fairly good control.