Reactive Hypo....also plasma/whole blood

timewarp

Hi

Seen the Nurse again and following on from Ken's advice I put a number of things to her...

She believes I may have Reactive Hypo to go with the Type 2 which goes someway to explaining why I get Hypo's when I should not and when I eat after fasting for some time I drop significantly rather than rise...does this make sense?

Also when you have the GTT is the greater than 11.1 for a diagnosis a plasma blood reading? A friend had one today and she tested straight after on an aviva strip, this gave a reading of 10.4 which equates to 11.6ish so it looks like a positive test?

Trinkwasser

See the post I just made in an adjacent thread!

IMO the question of whether or not someone is diabetic because they scored 10.8 instead of 11.1 is of academic interest only, neither are normal

PS I forgot what meds you are on, if it's a sulph reducing the dose might help, it might be causing you to pump out too much insulin. If it's met then increasing the dose might help reduce insulin resistance in the control circuit.

timewarp

Cheers

I agree

It does interest me though if a GTT whole blood is 10.3/10.4 does that mean she should be diagnosed diabetic? because plasma is 11.6

mogsta22

Trinkwasser said:
IMO the question of whether or not someone is diabetic because they scored 10.8 instead of 11.1 is of academic interest only, neither are normal

I could not agree more. When told my 10.8 score did not mean I was diabetic and the nurse was at a loss to understand why I was referred to her by my blood pressure nurse I was appalled. To me 10.8 is borderline and should be closely monitored at the least. I was told when I questioned this that I could be tested again after 1 year if it was felt there was a need to do so. I also questioned several more things she said and this did not go down well at all. I think she expects to be obeyed and never questioned on the validity of her statements.

I know what I need to do thanks to this forum and have set about doing it.

Jean

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Remember the NHS is following the World Organisation Definition of what is diabetes and what is not. Once you fit into this box that (See definition below) is it but them GP and PCT can draw down extra funding for your "care".

The World Health Organization definition of diabetes is for a single raised glucose reading with symptoms, otherwise raised values on two occasions, of either:[14]

fasting plasma glucose ≥ 7.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
or
With a Glucose tolerance test, two hours after the oral dose a plasma glucose ≥ 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl)

timewarp

Yep thanks for that

I have read that if you take a whole blood reading and times by 1.12 this gives the plasma blood level?

Anyone any experience of the Reactive Hypo?

Thanks