Read it all and still cant disgest it all.

mrsshop

Hi all, On christmas eve i got told i had type 2 diabetes. Im female aged 39 , Been told to loose weight which is fair enough and been put in metformin. (which i havent actually started to take as i need to get my head around it all first).

Apart from generally falling asleep after having say a chocolate bar, i dont feel as though i have any thing wrong with me.

I understand the part about eating healthly and cutting out all the sweet stuff and loosing weight i think that just general common sence but i needed it kicked into my butt to make me releasie.

SO some questions, which i would appreicate answers for would be.

If i go out for an evening, and decided to have a pudding can i have what i want or does it have to be the healthy option.

If the girls wanna go out clubbing, can i carry on drinkign on the odd occassions (as i know everyone says to avoid booze).

Or maybe the question should be what will happen to me if i do go out on the odd accassion and get hammered or eat the unhealthy option. :crazy: I just dont know.

DaveNN

mrsshop said:
Hi all, On christmas eve i got told i had type 2 diabetes. Im female aged 39 , Been told to loose weight which is fair enough and been put in metformin. (which i havent actually started to take as i need to get my head around it all first).

Apart from generally falling asleep after having say a chocolate bar, i dont feel as though i have any thing wrong with me.

I understand the part about eating healthly and cutting out all the sweet stuff and loosing weight i think that just general common sence but i needed it kicked into my butt to make me releasie.

SO some questions, which i would appreicate answers for would be.

If i go out for an evening, and decided to have a pudding can i have what i want or does it have to be the healthy option.

If the girls wanna go out clubbing, can i carry on drinkign on the odd occassions (as i know everyone says to avoid booze).

Or maybe the question should be what will happen to me if i do go out on the odd accassion and get hammered or eat the unhealthy option. :crazy: I just dont know.

I'm new to this too.... But the falling asleep bit after chocolate ( or in my case a family sized tiramassu) I can relate to.

Eating out can be a nightmare... why not look to reduce your carb intake, eat plenty of leafy starters and bulk up on proteins..that way you won't have enough room for a pudding...you'll also save money.

Basically, I'm treating my possible pre diabetes ( there's something up) as a wake up call to stop the boozing ( not that I do that much), cut out the pies and pastries and sort myself out before.... Well...... Whatever happens.

Hope it all works out well for you.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet and exercise can work wonders but you need to know your blood glucose levels. Mine are low enough for me to have the odd chocs or mince pies but, as I am trying to lose weight, I shouldn't eat them. If I go out for a meal, a chinese for example, I avoid the sticky sweet sauces like roast duck in plum sauce and have something like roast duck with prawn meat stuffing. I'm usually driving so not drinking alcohol isn't a problem. Puddings are a problem because they are mostly very sweet sticky things. If a fresh fruit salad was on offer, that is usually OK or at least, not as bad, but unlikely in January. Try the cheese and biscuits.

davemcn

Having just recently been diagnosed T2 and having a sweet tooth and liking a drink, I have been taking 2 merformin morning and night and watching my sugar intake. I would still have the odd dessert or sweet treat and have started to drink vodka and diet sprite or diet coke instead of larger but maybe only 1 a week, rather than every day!!! . Still to have my second hmbc1 test so not sure how much this has helped..I'll let you know how it goes, but also reading other users comments, I have a feeling it's going to be cut out more, to prevent future problems..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just cutting things out. You can't keep cutting foods out. Exercise will increase your blood circulation as will losing weight. Those two things are just as important. There is a danger that by taking pills one avoids these difficult changes. It is worth the effort though, I feel more energetic and am more active and it is good for controlling the diabetes. Even if I cannot tuck in to a syrup sponge and custard again, I do feel like I am getting some of my life back.

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
It's not just cutting things out. You can't keep cutting foods out. Exercise will increase your blood circulation as will losing weight. Those two things are just as important. There is a danger that by taking pills one avoids these difficult changes. It is worth the effort though, I feel more energetic and am more active and it is good for controlling the diabetes. Even if I cannot tuck in to a syrup sponge and custard again, I do feel like I am getting some of my life back.

Nail hit on head!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First, do get hold of a meter so you see what foods affect you most and by how much. Test two hours after a typical meal. You must start a low-carb diet now. How low-carb will depend on what your meter tells. We all have the occasional binge on a pudding (I did today!) but note the carbs on the packet if you can. If you do have too much you won't feel any different but if you have high blood sugar all the time it will be doing a lot of damage and you won't know until it's too late. A certain amount of alcohol is fine as it doesn't affect blood sugar too much but too much isn't good with the pills. Dark chocolate 85% is fine in sensible amounts. Do start the Metformin as it's a good drug. You will find the meter is a great help in telling you whether you are going too far with the carbs.