Reading this forum is very frustrating

monkeynuts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been diabetic for 28 years (type1) and never really thought about it. From age 4 I took full control of injecting and testing. I have never declared it on a job interview to try and increase the chance of being selected due to the Equality Act. Every day I read these forums which seem to be full of people using diabetes as an excuse not to do something.

I've used diabetes as a platform which has taught me great self control.

I have travelled the world scuba diving and had senior management jobs in the banking industry. I now run two succseful companies.

We all know what we have to do so we should just get on with it. Diabetes is not limiting it provides us with different opportunities.

I want to see more positive success stories on these forums. Who is with me......

Reactions: 7 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I fully agree with you. but I think its natural for people to struggle from time to time, some for short periods, others longer. I myself have had a brief period needing anti ds, thankfully now recovered and enjoying life, nothings impossible. For varying reasons its not always plain sailing. I just to try to help others look forward and not feel alone.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
There are some great success stories on here and it always warms me to read them.:)

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Congrats on your great control monkeynuts and I agree a few like to wallow in pity but the vast majority have their ups and downs and need advice. Then there are the newly diagnose who arrive here with next to no information due to pressure on NHS times etc. People deal with diabetes very differently and some cannot get the level of control you have. Then there are those with associated complications which can make things even more difficult.

Reactions: 10 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
same as me as a newbie without my moaning on here id still be eating suger and getting worse because my gp/dn still havnt advised me on anything 2 months into it ... i am a regular moaner here lolol

equipoise

It's important to have more success stories, but just as important to grasp that having a positive attitude and being self-disciplined aren't in themselves all that is required for diabetes control. As should be clear from the forum, there are plenty of people with other severe health problems, or more complex forms of diabetes, who don't have the option of simply thinking positive and thereby gaining wonderful control, and we musty always be ready to recognise that. My BGs are nicely under control and I gain satisfaction from being well organized, but I am acutely aware that my life and health are a great deal more straightforward than others'.

Reactions: 13 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's important to have more success stories, but just as important to grasp that having a positive attitude and being self-disciplined aren't in themselves all that is required for diabetes control.

Obviously not, but I would argue that without a positive attitude and self-discipline your chances of success are vastly reduced. It is too easy to dwell on the negatives and not see any of the positive opportunities for improvements.

equipoise

Obviously not, but I would argue that without a positive attitude and self-discipline your chances of success are vastly reduced. It is too easy to dwell on the negatives and not see any of the positive opportunities for improvements.

I agree completely, but I think there is a danger that those who have control of diabetes can end up blaming others who haven't for simply lacking the will-power. I'm reminded of that recent head of NHS preening himself in his valedictory speech how he got control of his T2 diabetes because he's just well-organized and likes a challenge.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It may be a case that those who aren't doing well post for info & support and those that are having success don't want to "tempt fate" or rub those who arent's faces in it!
edit:
Monkeynuts you are obviously strong willed enough to push yourself onward but some need that little bit of support and "shoulder to cry on" to "do it"!

Reactions: 3 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing is many of us do have other serious problems, do not assume that because we only tend to post about positive aspects we don't have issues which we have to face on a daily basis.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hold fire. I appreciate people have different medical issues which can make it harder to control. However, I had serious car accident and had two spinal operations in July and August 2012 and was off work until April 2013 due to a compliacted recovery process after the surgieres. I would put those down as serious health issues. However, i did not come on here and moan about it and I did not look for excuses. I learnt a lot from it and used the experience as a positive. Just get on with it........

Hiya. You certainly are a strong person and very accomplished so kuddos to you! I am very new to all of this, so I don't know if I'll be a moaner or a get-on-with it -er. Since I've suffered serious accidents in the past as well, and am now dealing with a re-occurrence of skin cancer, I suspect I'll be a bit of both, since that's how I've reacted to things in the past. I may moan a bit, but then I get on with it (rinse and repeat). :)

Perhaps though, since you were diagnosed as a small child, it has always been a part of your life, so you have a more "no big deal" attitude. For those who have lived a very carefree or generally healthy life for decades before being diagnosed, it can be quite a shock to their way of life. What is that saying? A man is never so tall as when he stoops down to help someone else. Something like that.

Reactions: 9 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think a kick up the butt would be more helpful than a 'should to cry on' for some. Using diabetes as an excuse does not help our communities image in the slightest. I especially want young diabetics to hear of the wonderful things they can achieve and their diabetes will not limit them :)
Well said. I don't think diabetes should hold anyone back. It's there to be controlled. However, there are some that need help and advice. There will always be people that deal with situations better than others but I'm sure there must have been occasions in your life when you've required help or advice. Some keep it quiet, others use a forum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Monkeynuts. I agree with you to some extent about a few of the posts. In practice over several years I haven't seen too many posters who can't cope. There are those with genuine depression and need to seek professional help. I must admit I can be a bit intolerant of those who can't hold on to a diet and I may give a slight kick up the backside. I don't find the forum frustrating overall. I tend to leave the 'touchy-feely' posts to others who are more tolerant on that front; I focus on more practical help. So we're all different which makes the forum of value to a wide range of poeple

Reactions: 6 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing wrong with asking for help and advice, my point is that you must concentrate on what you can do rather than what you cannot do., otherwise you stand no chance.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
"Glass half full as opposed to glass half empty..." is a good outlook to have.:)

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
OTOH
Glass half full/Glass half empty + someone fouled up the glass specs, we need better engineers <G>

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
We need a glass that has a clear 49% line for Glass half empty and a clearly marked 51% for glass half full-I'll go for the the 51% every time-especially if the glass contains a fine single malt whiskey as well as just a positive outlook on life.:D

Reactions: 5 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have travelled the world scuba diving

I use Easyjet myself.

Yours reminds me of those 'Mummy Mummy' jokes from the 1960s.

"Mummy mummy, but I don't want to go to France for my holidays"

"Shut up and keep swimming"

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think if a person is feeling positive and in control that is great but then they are not likely to be trawling the internet for ideas and and stumbling across this forum.

Lots of us (me for one) started off lost or confused, turned things around and try to use our experiences to help others.

Cara