Reading too high in the morning

steppitoe

I wake with a high reading (well high for me) and would like to reduce this by around 10/15%

Has anyone tried anything that worked?

debbiiee

It may be due to dawn phenomenon, overnight gluconeogenesis etc. If u are injecting insulin, your basal may be insufficient. Sometimes high fat meal late evening also may cause a late rise in the morning. There are many ways people here in the forum try controlling this dawn rise...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

steppitoe

Thank you, I do not think I provided enough info. I am type two (borderline) and take one metformin tablet a day which is usually around 12 noon before I eat.

I do not inject insulin.

My diet is usually pretty low in carbs and has been for years.

I am overweight (currently working on that one)

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I do not think I provided enough info. I am type two (borderline) and take one metformin tablet a day which is usually around 12 noon before I eat.

I do not inject insulin.

My diet is usually pretty low in carbs and has been for years.

I am overweight (currently working on that one)

Hi steppitoe . . .

I used a low-carb diet for several years, with only moderate success.

I am T1 and my main focus was on keeping my blood-sugar levels in the non-diabetic range. My low-carb diet was not especially successful at that. I eventually realised that my Protein intake was the problem . . . this was in general too much, and it was producing blood-sugar levels that were too high, especially in the mornings with the dawn phenomenon.

After I switched my low-carb diet to be a truly Ketogenic diet (that means low-carb and no more than adequate protein) my body responded very well to that. Blood-sugar levels stabilized in the non-diabetic range and dawn phenomenon completely disappeared. I now follow the general guideline that I have read in several books on the Ketogenic diet, to take around 1g Protein per day for each Kilo of ideal body weight. For me this is an easy, static target of around 65g Protein per day.

Hopefully this info is useful for you.

(btw, this switch to a truly Ketogenic diet also triggered immediate weight-loss, without doing a single step of exercise).

Regards,
Antony

Reactions: 2 people

steppitoe

Thank you for your response, really interesting. Did you put yourself on the diet or was is under medical supervision?

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your response, really interesting. Did you put yourself on the diet or was is under medical supervision?

Hi . . .

I did it for myself . . . I imagine it's hard to do a Ketogenic/LCHF diet under medical supervision, as most Doctors are so incredibly negative about the concept. Low-carb/High-fat is pretty much the opposite of all official health advice. I think things are slowly changing, but it seems very few Doctors are currently willing to openly support LCHF.

I have my blood-sugar monitor and my quarterly blood-test results and my waistline and my energy levels to confirm that the diet works for me. This is good enough for me! I'm really not interested any more what any Doctor says.

Regards,
Antony

Reactions: Shine311

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As lchf is a treatment for fits that can't be controlled with drugs. You would need to see that type of dr for supervision

Op you may need to raise your met. A treating dose is said to be 1500

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What would your 65g of protein look like? Two sausages, 3 slices of ham, three eggs? I have no idea and I know I need to cut down my portion sizes.
Some pics if you have them would be useful :)

Not much to ask lol.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Myfitnesspal or fatsecrets You enter the food it tells you what's in it
Or google eg chicken breast 100g

Lots of hidden protein in food so check beans etc

Or what cooked meat fish fits in a sardine tin is about 20g

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As lchf is a treatment for fits that can't be controlled with drugs. You would need to see that type of dr for supervision

I discovered a very small list of Doctors here in Germany that use the Ketogenic diet as treatment for epilepsy, all of them in childrens hospitals/clinics. I contacted them and was excited at first when 1 agreed to take me on as a patient. But in the end I did not join his Practice; this was because he agreed to supervise/advise on my diet plan, but could not agree to give me any prescriptions or blood-tests for my Diabetes because that was not his area of expertise.

This I understood, and accepted.

But it was very frustrating for me; I have only found 1 style of eating that manages my T1 Diabetes really well (Ketogenic), but the Doctors that can help me with this diet cannot also be responsible for treating Diabetes. Conversely, nearly all of my Diabetes Doctors so far have been incredibly negative about the Ketogenic diet and it is a real battle every time I visit them. Urghh!

I wait for the day (I think it will come eventually) when there are Diabetes Doctors that openly help their patients to manage the condition using Ketogenic / LCHF diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What would your 65g of protein look like? Two sausages, 3 slices of ham, three eggs? I have no idea and I know I need to cut down my portion sizes.
Some pics if you have them would be useful :)

Not much to ask lol.

The book Carbs & Cals will tell you all you need to know, with thousands of photos of portion sizes of ordinary every day foods and drinks - shows weights, calories, carbs, protein, fat and fibre content of each portion. Dead easy. Available from Amazon. I couldn't have managed without it at the beginning.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good, and now I remember about the sardine tin.

I have now obtained a half size bowl for the jelly etc :(

Lol