1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Real, simple, good, seasonal and FREE

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by MrsA2, Sep 12, 2021.

1. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get cross sometimes when I see other sites that make low carb eating complex or costly.
    This is one of my example of easy, cheap, healthy
    Free, foraged blackberries, frozen on trays so they are then scooped into bags and kept frozen. A few are shaken out when needed.
    Simples
    bpackberries.jpg

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

This is what my wife and I do also

Blackberries.jpg

It is stunning the difference between what "we" can pick and the "sweets" they call berries. The supermarkets boast about "extra sweet". I have been concerned about the fructose load of the berries I have almost every day. There is a push within the food fiddling industry to keep sugaring all fruit.

The needs to be a movement for sour / bitter, if only so that for the same glucose load more volume can be had.

We pick from our garden, the allotment and a nature reserve near Manningtree.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I'm feeling quite down today - I've been out for a walk this morning and I think I've had my last free breakfast of the season. The blackberries are all but over around here.

And no, I never, ever, manage to get them home. My walks are a lot slower during the blackberry season though.

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

We picked the last of our runner beans and courgettes today. During this season we have frozen some for the winter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

We have a rogue blackberry bush that has wound itself round a tree in our front garden, this reminds me to go and harvest the berries and look up my low carb crumble recipe :hungry:

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my garden it has not been a stellar year for veg, but my french beans were great earlier in the year and I have another batch just coming into flower so I hope for some more into the autumn. I still have loads of tomatoes despite the blight, plus cucumbers, chillis, peppers and aubergines which should carry on for a bit yet. Courgettes were a bit of a fail but the little Zephyr summer squashes have been great and keep on producing 2 or 3 every other day (seem to be ok for my BG, wasn’t too sure to start with), and I have a single spaghetti squash sitting ripening like a giant green slug.

Strawberries suffered from sawfly caterpillars but I’ve had a few and they are still doing their thing.

Once the ground has had some more rain I will plant out my fig trees… figs are OK for me too, although it will have to be a good year for them to produce anything edible!

I love the convenience of having fresh stuff on tap, so I can have a salad or roast (well, air-fried) veggies, or ingredients for a curry available without prior planning or having stuff languishing in the fridge! To large extent, what is ready to be eaten drives my menus in the summer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MrsA2

Mine isn't even worthy of being called a recipe...
    Per person (multiplying as needed),
    melt a tablespoon of butter,
    add 1 tablespoon ground almonds
    and 1 tablespoon milled linseed (or either just the almonds or seeds if you prefer).
    Mix it all about a bit, sprinkle on top of fruit and cook in oven (or microwave) until warmed through.
    This is enough for one ramekin type dish

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Rachox

Staff Member

Very similar ingredients but I don’t melt the butter, I just rub it all together with my hands til it becomes like course breadcrumbs!
    • 55g almond flour
    • 15g milled flaxseed
    • 3 tsp granulated xylitol (or similar low carb sweetener)
    • 30g unsalted butter

9. MommaE

MommaE Type 1 · Active Member

10. MommaE

MommaE Type 1 · Active Member

I found sprinkling ground cinnamon around the strawberries helped with bug control

11. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Please can I have the LC crumble recipe? Have made many attempts and so far all have been either dry and powdery or sticky and greasy.

12. SlimLizzy

Need to find a source of milled linseed now.

13. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

14. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aldi/Lidl usually have it

15. Rachox

Staff Member

16. MrsA2

Also know as flaxseed. Might just be a naming issue?

17. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

18. SlimLizzy

I will look tomorrow, although the stock in france is a bit different to UK

19. MrsA2

Discovered broccoli rice tonight.
    Similar to cauliflower rice, this was the stems from 3 heads blitzed down to a rice texture in the food processor, then cooked in very little water (or stock) until tender. I added onion and red pepper but would have been OK on its own.
    Pretty green colour, and free in that the heads had been eaten earlier in the week.
    This was sufficient for 3 of us but easy to adjust quantities and alter flavourings to taste
    I often keep the broccoli stems for soup, freezing them until I have enough but this is good alternative use

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook