really bad hair loss

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having to take so many medications, having little energy.
My best friend living so far away in scotland.
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
Hiya all, please can someone help me. I have had hypothyroidism for about 8 years and take thyroxine, i had some hair loss before i was diagnosed, but it was better with the medication. Anyway I was diagnosed type one in october and my hair is falling out by the brush full. I am seriously worried that ill be bald soon. Does anyone have any ideas about whats happening to me or how I can stop it? I have a doctors appointment on feb 14th and im afraid that she will tell me that its all going to fall out.
Any tips and advice would be warmly welcome. Thank you

anita xxxxx

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Levo didn't work for me, so I decided to try NDT instead. Now my hair is thick and shiny again!

What does your ferritin level look like? And vitamins B12 and folate? And of course, your thyroid hormones?

Hair loss is common in hypothyroidism and anaemia. Don't know if hair loss is a symptom of diabetes.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hair is falling out, resting and renewing all the time. You can lose 100 hairs a day without it having an impact on the volume of hair. If you part your hair and hold down each side of the parting while rubbing along the parting with the other hand you will see new short hairs sticking up.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hair is falling out, resting and renewing all the time. You can lose 100 hairs a day without it having an impact on the volume of hair. If you part your hair and hold down each side of the parting while rubbing along the parting with the other hand you will see new short hairs sticking up.
You never suffered from hypothyroidism! I did go partly bald. 100 hairs a day is what you don't even notice.

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
Lmao 100 a day??? Im talking a hairbrush full, clumps in the shower and loose ones all ova my back.

I wish it was just 100 a day believe me :'(

I take 175mcg of thyroxine a day but dont know whay those other things apart from the vit b12 are totto.. Sorry i sound really dumb lol.

Ani

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, not dumb, just about the average thyroid patient.

Ask your GP or the nurse for a print out of recent results - or for any period of time.You may have to pay a small fee, but you are entitled to know your own results, they are yours, after all. The ranges are as important as the actual results.

What is your B12? With ranges?

Have you had a CBC done recently? If not, you may want to ask your GP about testing for reason for hair loss. I suggest Hb, CBC, ferritin along with TSH AND fT4. For a start.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Lmao 100 a day??? Im talking a hairbrush full, clumps in the shower and loose ones all ova my back.

I wish it was just 100 a day believe me :'(

I take 175mcg of thyroxine a day but dont know whay those other things apart from the vit b12 are totto.. Sorry i sound really dumb lol.

Ani

Not dumb at all!:) Definitely worth getting your B12 level checked and also your hemoglobin levels too just to make sure you're not anemic as that can cause a big loss in hair sometimes...I hope you get better soon as it must be absolutely horrible for you.:(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had hair loss from just before to a little while after diagnosis/getting everything stabilised. I also stopped menstruating before diagnosis. I think the body shuts down a lot of less important functions when it isn't getting enough fuel to function properly.
I also developed hypothyroid and had some hair loss before starting thyroxine but for me it wasn't nearly as much as at the time of the diabetes diagnosis.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hiya all, please can someone help me. I have had hypothyroidism for about 8 years and take thyroxine, i had some hair loss before i was diagnosed, but it was better with the medication. Anyway I was diagnosed type one in october and my hair is falling out by the brush full. I am seriously worried that ill be bald soon. Does anyone have any ideas about whats happening to me or how I can stop it? I have a doctors appointment on feb 14th and im afraid that she will tell me that its all going to fall out.
Any tips and advice would be warmly welcome. Thank you

anita xxxxx
Hi Anita
I don't have hypothyroidism, (had hyperthyroidism). However, I do know what it's like to lose ones hair, at the very least it's embarrassing and has a devastating effect on our self confidence. I really feel for you and hope your GP can help resolve the situation soon. Best wishes to you.
Geri x

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always use to lose a lot of hair and was the same - was worried I would go bald! Luckily I didn't need to do anything and they said that it would all be okay and stop gradually! Xx

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank u all so much for all ur help and advice, it really has helped me a lot. I will get those levels checked out as soon as i can.

On the up side Ive seen some lovely wigs that look so realistic. Ive asked my husband to buy me one for my birthday lol.

Ill keep u all updated when or if I find out whats wrong.

Ani xx

Reactions: 4 people