really confused re diet

geoffry

Hi, I know there are a lot of opinions re diet and carbs but can anyone explain this? I am on metformin 500 tds and gliclazide 80 in the morning, 160 at night. They suspect I may be type 1.5 lada but waiting hospital appt. I have been having quite a few hypos 2.6 etc, 3-4 hrs post breakfast but generally if I have porridge with sultanas or meusli. If I add in toast, ie more carbs, I am usually ok! On the days that I have then had things like bacon and egg etc, 2 hrs or so later I have been up to 11 . No ryme or reason. I am keeping a food diary and just cannot see any patterns, except perhaps needing more carbs at breakfast. But the rest of the day I will vary between 5 and 11 even if I have the same food from one day to the next. when I started getting the hypos mid morning they cut the gliclazide down from 160 to 80 in the mornin but still had several hypos and the dose is 160 at night and my fasting bm is still usually 8 something. Confused or what! Anyone else as unpredictable as me?

Rottie

Im just the same. Initially diagnosed with type 2 6yrs ago. I can be well controlled for a few months, then everything goes mental and im all over the place. I did everything by the book and still I climbed then dropped for no reason. 4 Weeks ago I saw a new consultant who used the term LADA - I was very confused. He sent me for an antibodies test, which has to go to the UK (I live in Ireland) and is almost sure that it will confirm his LADA diagnosis. Seems that my own antibodies are reacting against the insulin. Now ive gone from loads of highs to some very serious lows. So much so that over the last few nights im sitting in the kitchen at 2am eating. Its scary and very hard to manage. I wish you luck :D

paragliderpete

Hi . Not sure if i've read your post correct. Are you saying that you have porridge plus toast and then a fry up as a breakfast. If you are having sausage and potatoes or beans with your fry up , then you could be adding a lot more carbs onto your total for a meal. Try checking your bm's at 1 and 2 hr post meal. If you are getting a spike at this time , then it could be the gliclizide causing a strong stage 2 insulin response to a large carb meal, which triggers to much insulin and takes you low at about 3 to 31/2hrs.
Its what called a reactive hypo.
Gliclizide causes uncontrolled release of insulin , and is known to produce hypo's in some people. It would be well worth talking to your doctor about reducing or stopping the gliclizide for a shorty period to see what effect it has. You take quite a large dose in the evening , which could be causing lows during the night, Your body will then try to correct the low by preforming a liver dump. This could be why you are seeing a rise in your fasting levels.

If possible try reducing your carbs or spreading them out more during the day, the lower carbs will produce a smaller response and could help.

I find that I'm very intolerent of carbs in the morning, and as a result have only about 5gramme of carb for breakfast, I can tolerate far more in the afternoon, and this is when I have most of my carbs. It's a case of testing to find what gives you the best results.
Hope this helps resolve your problem. Keep testing !!!!