Really sorry but I need to rant!

Blondie153

I'm really sorry for the fact that this is going to sound such a cross post!!! My daughter was on a day out with the diabetic team today 2 diabetics nurses 1 dietitian and 1 consultant. They took them to the beach where all the children were told to take their pumps off for 2 hrs as they were in the water!!!!! (During this time if anyone felt low they came out and tested) They then came out and were given chips. The children were told to guess the carbs and put them in in their pumps or inject. Now is it just me or is this not just incredible??? What message did they sent out here today or am I just a too tightly wound individual?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Must admit to being confused by your post. What exactly are you upset about?

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sorry the children were on a day out with diabetic team and I felt they were showing them bad practice when surely they should have been showing them good

Still very confused, what exactly do you see as bad practice? :)

Blondie153

I mustn't be explaining myself very well. They told us at the clinic do not keep pump off for more than 1hr and yesterday they had them off for over 2 hrs. They told them at clinic carb count as best you can, they had carbs and cals book there so why did they make 44 children guess when they could have just told them the carbs? Some children took too much, some too little. I know when you are out with your child you sometimes have to guess as one offs but in a controlled situation like that with professionals why did they not just tell them especially as they were doing lots of exercise. Is this any clearer?