Side effects from medication
hi
i would like to switch to not eating meat
but i dont know how to
ive read several articles and looked at the threads here
i just cant figure it out
i know i wont do it using soy
and i already dont eat fruit except a few berries on sale
and dont eat grain(except with fam.) or milk, yogurt (bathroom trips)
sometimes eggs and cheese but have recently nearly stopped them
so i cant really see much left but veggies and peanut butter
as i have teeth issues so the nuts have to be like peanut butter
i know there has to more food than that
i eat OMAD so i only need to figure out
for that one meal
Any suggestions?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Does fish count as meat? Are soy products mixed in with veggies and seasoning acceptable? Is there a tummy or bowel problem that needs addressing? Looking at the reason(s) you are eliminating so many foods also bears examination ? by your doctor?
It is more than protein involved here, what about vitamins and minerals?
Sorry there are so many questions but your viewpoint is a little unclear to me.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Does fish count as meat? Are soy products mixed in with veggies and seasoning acceptable? Is there a tummy or bowel problem that needs addressing? Looking at the reason(s) you are eliminating so many foods also bears examination ? by your doctor?
It is more than protein involved here, what about vitamins and minerals?
Sorry there are so many questions but your viewpoint is a little unclear to me.

ive had to eliminate so many foods to get control
of my blood sugar numbers without having to use
100's of units of insulin
i was using more than 200 now just near 100 units
plus being lactose intolerant and having teeth issues
means other foods gone like nuts, milk yogurt cottage cheese
i have never liked fish so that wouldnt be an option
so i guess basically i would eat as little as necessary to
have better numbers hence the OMAD
for the soy issue i just have no interest in the
preparation of it or like what i have tried
i hope this answers what you were asking
:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, you've already cut out so many foods, I'd be very reluctant to suggest you eliminate any more. What teeth issues and how do they affect your eating? My suggestion would be to learn to make minced meat the basis of your diet - we have every major protein minced in Australia, even kangaroo, so I assume it would be the same where you are. Can be changed by added spices, different veg, sauces, etc. If soy is out of the question and you don't eat eggs or fish, you're really going to struggle to get complete protein - it takes quite a lot of nutritional knowledge to accomplish on a vegetarian or vegan diet as plant sources need to be combined to ensure full spectrum of essential amino acids.

Also, even if you have lactose issues, it's still possible to eat dairy, especially of the fermented kind like yoghurt - usually the lactose is mostly consumed by bacteria during the fermenting process. There are also lactose free versions of a lot of dairy products.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @cdpm, I now understand better.
From my discussions with my doctor about such things as use of U500 insulin he says that people who have required it in the past are usually helped by going on to insulin pumps with U100 insulin..
I appreciate as a Type 2 diabetic that probably does not meet usual criteria for insulin pumps but that is where your doctor/consultant comes in.
Is weight an issue for you also?
Soy yoghurts can be flavoured, soy cheese is available although salty, soy can be disguised with other foods and condiments. Nuts and such can be blended into smoothies etc.
Because of all the foods you have had to eliminate I still would be asking whether you have mineral or vitamin deficiencies which can impact on mood, taste and energy.
I assume things like coeliac disease, other auto-immune conditions, IBS etc have been ruled out as well as any medical conditions that increase insulin resistance.
I also wonder whether there are other issues re your food preferences which need exploration but that is a question for your doctor.
I can imagine you may feel like it is all too much. Do you need to talk with someone about this as things like depression, despair can often colour our thoughts, choices and living. Best Wishes !!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cdpm - Your life with diabetes has been an absolute roller coaster over the time you have been coming to the forum, and I feel for you in that regard, however, if I may comment on an observational basis; you change one thing and just as soon as something seems to work a litttle bit, you introduce further, often radical, change and the roller coaster begins all over again.

Recently, you spoke quite a bit about challenges around binge eating that you seem to have wrestled into a better place. I admire you enormously for doing that. Binge eating can be a very tough nut to crack, as it can come on so rapidly, happen even faster, but the aftermath of erratic blood sugars and feeling rubbish can linger a lot longer.

To be honest, any drastic change in your eating patterns could destabilise all that again. In your shores, I'd be terrified.

I have been really, really fortunate to have had an easy ride with my T2 (if there is such a thing), in that with the help of this forum and my meter, I wrestled things into a decent place quickly, and thus far, have managed to maintain that position. BUT. And it is a BIG but, I know if I were to change my whole style of eating, my numbers could go bonkers for a bit, whilst I worked it all out again.

Why put yourself through it? You haven't enjoyed your fight with your erratic bloods, or your eating issues (nobody would!), so why not, please consider a little stability to plan a change, if you really want to make one.

Again, in your shoes, I might plan to give this a go in the new year, if all else remains stable.

My feeling is, you would feel a massive, massive benefit from just having a steady routine, steadier bloods and a further period of reinforced positive practices, in terms of your non-binge eating.

Stable feels good.

Give yourself a break.

Reactions: kev-w and Indy51