really worried about birth defects/probs after birth

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Well I am coming to the end of my pregnancy i'm 35+3 and being induced in 3 weeks time. I've been controlled ok (just about) throughout the pregnancy, hba1cs generally below 6 (last one 5.9) and post prandials mainly below 7.8 (although a few 8s and 9s - rarely go above 10) But and this is the big but, I was not well controlled at conception as I did not plan the pregnancy. hba1c was 9.5 at conception although I had been on a low carb diet in the four weeks before I found out I was expecting (I found out early, straight after I missed my period so around two weeks after conception) so I reckon my hba1c was probably skewed upwards a little by my poor diet and lack of control before I started my low carb diet. Once I found out I was expecting I tightened up pretty quick, within a week I was within target ranges. So I probably got under control by week three of pregnancy. But I have heard that it is the control at conception and in the earliest weeks that affects whether or not the baby gets birth defects. I am now petrified that the baby will have something wrong with it.

I know no one can do anything to completely put my mind at rest as that will only happen when the baby comes out and the docs say he's fine, but did anyone else conceive after a highish Hba1c and did they have any problems with the baby? Am I worrying more than I should?

I keep looking on the internet at reports and studies, which I probably should stay away from as it seems to be doing more harm than good.

So far the baby has been fine and I haven't had any obstetric problems, blood pressure and everything is fine and the growth is fine, but I am aware there's a lot they can't tell until the baby is born.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer your question but what I can tell you is that what you are feeling is what EVERY mum-to- be goes through - regardless of being T1 or not.

there are many many unplanned pregnancies where the mother worries - "did I drink too much? - "Smoking for the first few weeks before I knew?" - extreme sports - eating soft cheeses and pate - taking medicines that might affect the baby - the list of worries are endless for anyone - but the vast majority of time things are fine - and out of that small minority when something is wrong sometimes its just nature and not anything the mother-to-be has or has not done.

You have behaved positively once you knew you were pregnant and you have done everything in your power to give your child the best start in life so don't be so hard on yourself.

saying don't worry about it is pointless - anyone worries to an extent about their unborn child - what you have to do is try to put in perspective and think positively about things and enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy - looking forward to a new little one :D - every child is a miracle and you are going to be a great mother - look how well you have done so far :D

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Thanks lovinglife - I will try not to worry too much - not much I can do about it now in any case as any thing that would have happened would have happened in first trimester. I think every mum to be has these worries in one way shape or form. The baby has made it this far and no sign of any problems, and whilst I wouldn't want to tempt fate by saying that means all is fine, it's a good sign.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,

I can't answer you question, but hopefully I can help to reassure you. What you are feeling is very normal, we all worry about what we did at the time of conception and the effects that it will haveon our unborn children. I was diagnosed with gestationsl diabetes at 37 weeks. I had lost two premature babies and this seemed like the last straw, how wrong was I ? My daughter was born fit and healthy at 37 weeks weighing in at 7lbs 10lbs. Your obstetric history is really good, and I am sure that your little one will be fine. love to you all. Berni xxxx :) :) :)