Reasonable Doctor

MaryJ

Hi All,

Further to diagnosis and getting a great response from my GP (agreed diet and exercise for 3 months meter and strips on script)

I had a call from the surgery asking me to go in and discuss my diabetes with a different doctor as shouldn't be testing self etc.

Went ready with stats since diagnosis expecting a row as the first gp was on my wavelength.

He did disagree with me and first gp re testing as said NHS spend more on testing than treating diabetes. Also people think testing is treating. I told him i disagreed as i now know I can eat 30g of rice but no more, without testng I wouldnt have known that. And gave him lots of examples of how I had changed my diet based on testing and eliminating.

He said guidelines are to not test. Upshot was I disagreed and told him I'd seen the NICE guidelines. together we looked on his computer and used this site where I showed him the link to the guidelines and he saw the bit on newly diagnosed type 2's should test ONLY as part of the education and management of the condition,

He came round to agreeing I should test, saved the guide on his computer and wrote me a script for test strips and returned them to repeat.

I do see what he means re SOME people may think they are doing enough just by testing. Testing alone doesnt change that you have diabetes you have to deal with it and make changes.

Am I delighted to have a doctor who is open to discussion and is willing to see I am prepared to manage this condition myself where possible. More so, thank you to those who provide the info. Without the knowledge and facts I would have had to say 'yes doctor, no doctor, see you in 3 months'.

Happy New Year.

Mary J

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Mary J. Maybe you taught the doctor something he didn't know? they can't all be experts in everything, they're too busy. I'm so glad he listened to you and worked with you, not against you. Now you know you have 2 GPs in the practice you can talk to - got to be a bonus! :D

Viv 8)

MaryJ

Update and not happy

Ordered my repeat strips to be told not allowed them as not on insulin.

Asked the receptionist which doctor refused them. VERY Disappointed to be told it was the doctor I raved about above.

He's off on holiday til w/c 2/4 I think I need to make an appt to find out:

1) Does he not read his own notes?
2) Does he not write up what he has agreed with a patient and forgot?
3) Does he just agree something with a patient to get them out of the surgery then renege on it?

I am not testing anywhere near as much as I was but only last week found out I can't eat a curry from a chinese but have been having indian curry since beginning with no issues - grrrrrrrrr

So pee'd off with it

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes there does seem to be some kind of concerted effort at removing testing from Type 2's at the moment. Good luck with getting them reinstated.