Received letter, good or bad news?

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have received a letter from the hospital and I'm not sure how to take it?
It is from the diabetes pump consultant (my diabetes consultant referred me at last appointment). It says that I will be formally reviewed in the pump school, which has a multidisciplinary team, dr, pump nurse, dietitian and DSN.
It also says that I will need to be 6months carb counting post dafne.
It ends by saying that I will be put on a waiting list to be reviewed in the pump clinic.

This to me sounds like a big deal and I'm worried they will say no. Can anyone advise on what to expect etc?

Many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Although it might sound like a big deal, what you have listed is fairly common for most diabetics wanting a pump in todays modern world. Just make sure that you are ok with your knowledge about carb ratios, adjusting them, correction factor and what the carb value is of a lot of basic food.

Try not to worry and just play the game as its a necessary evil so that a CCG funding a pump, doesn't feel that it's money down the drain.

Reactions: 5 people

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @iHs I'm already doing all you mention now so I will keep it up and make sure I have proof of what I'm doing. Plus will try to relax and not stress about the system

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would take it as a good news. Have you done dafne and carb count? If yes there isn't any reason not to give a pump (at least not to review)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The DAFNE course is a prerequisite in most diabetes clinics @Hirstygirl, the meeting of Dr/ Pump DSN & Dietitian is standard practice and you shouldn't worry yourself too much, if you have any other concerns do come back and ask.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ewelina yes have done dafne only a month ago so am carb counting, adjusting etc. Do you think it means I won't get an appointment until I'm 6 months post dafne? Just trying to work out rough timelines

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply @noblehead. I have met the pump nurse and diabetes dietitian during dafne (the course at my hospital is split into 4weeks instead of being 1 week) so guess it's a little less nerve wracking because of that lol.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
sounds pretty normal to me -- although more formal than my hospital
took me 13 months from referral by consultant to getting a pump ( just started 3 weeks ago )with a few hurdles along the way -- sounds as though you are well along the way -- Don't stress :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the reply @noblehead. I have met the pump nurse and diabetes dietitian during dafne (the course at my hospital is split into 4weeks instead of being 1 week) so guess it's a little less nerve wracking because of that lol.

You shouldn't have too long to wait then (hopefully) :)

Do try and read up on pumps so that your preprepared, the book Pumping Insulin is a must read and I read this prior to going on a pump, some of it won't make sense but once you start pumping it will.

Reactions: 4 people

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou @himtoo my family have all told me not too worry it's just me being a bit silly I guess!
How are you doing with your pump if u don't mind me asking?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have received a letter from the hospital and I'm not sure how to take it?
It is from the diabetes pump consultant (my diabetes consultant referred me at last appointment). It says that I will be formally reviewed in the pump school, which has a multidisciplinary team, dr, pump nurse, dietitian and DSN.
It also says that I will need to be 6months carb counting post dafne.
It ends by saying that I will be put on a waiting list to be reviewed in the pump clinic.

This to me sounds like a big deal and I'm worried they will say no. Can anyone advise on what to expect etc?

Many thanks
All it's saying is you have to have been carb counting for 6 months so make sure you keep a detailed record of carbs and insulin given plus blood sugar results, what action you took to rectify a problem (high numbers)

What they want to see is that you can think for yourself count carbs and know about insulin adjustment.

Then depending on the waiting list you might be seen in 6 months if you are lucky. So don't throw dollies out of the pram just keep on with the records and 6 months down the line ring and ask where you are on the list if you haven't heard anything. Those who shout loudest :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ask away young @Hirstygirl :D i think i love to talk !!
has been really difficult at first -- I have been D for 43 years and it was really weird giving up my control to a gadget .
and along with that came the panic when my first few days results were quite high ( i ran really really tight and quite low on MDI )
my DSN has been fab and we touch base twice a week and have tweaked my basals and i am seeing really flat readings throughout the day and night

they just need lowering to my happy range of 5.0-6.0 now -- LOL

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You shouldn't have too long to wait then (hopefully) :)

Do try and read up on pumps so that your preprepared, the book Pumping Insulin is a must read and I read this prior to going on a pump, some of it won't make sense but once you start pumping it will.

I have ordered pumping insulin from Amazon so will read as soon as I can. I have been looking at pumps, my hospital recommend the accu chek insight, but also use Medtronic so am looking at the minimed 640 as well. As I have little hypo awareness im being swayed towards the minimed (and reading lots of negative comments about the insight handset)

I may not post much on the forum as yet, I spend time each day reading all the messages and find them very helpful, it is nice to know you are not alone in this

Reactions: 7 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Pumping insulin is great - i have been reading it for the last 12 months -- loads of great info
that is how I qualified for a pump, with having impaired hypo awareness :eek:

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All it's saying is you have to have been carb counting for 6 months so make sure you keep a detailed record of carbs and insulin given plus blood sugar results, what action you took to rectify a problem (high numbers)

What they want to see is that you can think for yourself count carbs and know about insulin adjustment.

Then depending on the waiting list you might be seen in 6 months if you are lucky. So don't throw dollies out of the pram just keep on with the records and 6 months down the line ring and ask where you are on the list if you haven't heard anything. Those who shout loudest :)

Very true carbsRok don't worry I can shout VERY loud if I have too
Think I will continue with the food diary we were given at dafne so I have clear carbs to insulin ratio, corrections to show them, thankyou I hadn't thought of that, just have my record diary which doesn't show carbs just how much insulin I'm taking each injection.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ask away young @Hirstygirl :D i think i love to talk !!
has been really difficult at first -- I have been D for 43 years and it was really weird giving up my control to a gadget .
and along with that came the panic when my first few days results were quite high ( i ran really really tight and quite low on MDI )
my DSN has been fab and we touch base twice a week and have tweaked my basals and i am seeing really flat readings throughout the day and night

they just need lowering to my happy range of 5.0-6.0 now -- LOL

Good on you ️ am really happy for you. Just have to wait for my turn now. Note to self must wait patiently......

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have been given the same options as you on the pumps, what is good for 1 person is not for another.

CGM,s are great if you can afford them as most hospitals do not fund them so this is done by you personally, O opted for the insight because the cartridges are pre-filled and I cant afford to self fund CGM.

I hope the pump date comes around quick for you :D

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been given the same options as you on the pumps, what is good for 1 person is not for another.

CGM,s are great if you can afford them as most hospitals do not fund them so this is done by you personally, O opted for the insight because the cartridges are pre-filled and I cant afford to self fund CGM.

I hope the pump date comes around quick for you :D

I'm torn between the two. Haven't ruled out the insight I like idea ofthe pre filled cartridge although when I was diagnosed 35 yrs ago we had bottles of insulin and syringes so think I could soon pick up filling the reseviour.
My hospital only have a small team and accu chek offer support to them without them having to order X amount of pumps first (info from DSN) so as I say haven't ruled insight out. Does Minimed only suspend insulin when bs drop if u use the CGM then?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah Ive been diabetic for 43 years so I can remember the bottles, yes you need a CGM to suspend the insulin dose and that is the main reason I never took the mini-med but like I said each persons needs differ from the other, all the pump companies have good web pages where you can look up the uses and needs for pump useage. :)

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah Ive been diabetic for 43 years so I can remember the bottles, yes you need a CGM to suspend the insulin dose and that is the main reason I never took the mini-med but like I said each persons needs differ from the other, all the pump companies have good web pages where you can look up the uses and needs for pump useage. :)

I don't know how I missed that information??? Haven't really thought about CGM seriously I know they are expensive tho insight back to top of the list then, am guessing the issues with the handset being slow are just teething problems that may be sorted before I even get one.

By the way I saw your post the other day about your start date being put back and really hope you get your pump ASAP