Recent visit to diabetic clinic at hospital

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked my doctor a while ago about Byetta, because my HbA1c results have been high recently and I've gained weight since starting pioglitazone (I think it's spelt something like that...), so he refered me to the diabetic clinic at the hospital.

The HbA1c result from the blood tests for this appointment was 6.9%, which is lower than the previous ones (8+%), so I assume the pioglitazone is working.

Because the HbA1c result was so much lower than before I didn't press the diabetic consultant about Byetta, and the result of the appointment was an appointment with a dietician, and another appointment with the consultant in 6 months after they have done tests for antibodies (antibodies that kill the cells that make insulin I assume?). He also said it would be a good idea to do fingerprick tests and keep a note of the results! First time a doctor has admitted that to me, I hope my GP will prescribe strips etc.

Is it realistic to aim to reduce my blood sugar from 6.9% to normal levels (HbA1c below 6% is normal? It's so hard to get a straight answer about this from the NHS!) with no change in medication, just by improving my diet? And they also said the wieght gain from pioglitazone/Actos should stop, does anyone have any experience with this and think it's correct or not?

It's interesting that it's taken 4 years since I was diagnosed for someone to ask about family members with diabetes (including asking if my mother or maternal grandmother was deaf, apparently there is a type of diabetes that is carried in the female line and associated with deafness?), or to think of testing to see what type of diabetes it is. Although as it's been responding to metformin for 4 years I think chances are it's type 2, somehow!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi HLW,

If your pancreas is still producing enough insulin (chances are fairly good, as a recent t2), then yes I would think you could get the A1c down pretty quickly on the right diet. And no, that won't be the diet the NHS is likely to suggest.

Incidentally, a non-diabetic level will ideally be below 5!, so that would be worth aiming for.

All the best,

fergus

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi HLW,

Pioglitazone is rather like a stronger version of metformin. It is very good at reducing insulin resistance but unfortunately doesn't do the other thing that metformin does in stopping the liver from producing unwanted glucose. It also has two very common side effects - weight gain and fluid retention. In my experience, if you are one of those for whom weight gain is a side effect, it doesn't stop. A few years ago I was put on the sister drug Rosiglitazone (identical side effects) and eventually had to be taken off it after gaining 5 stone in 6 months, despite constant dieting. It has taken more than 2 years to get that weight back off!

Great news about the recommendation to test. Your GP won't dare to argue with a consultant's recommendation!

When I was first diagnosed it was with an HBA1C of 10% (14.4mmol), but with a combination of medication and a reduced carb diet my current HBA1C is 5.7 and my fasting BS is rarely outside of non-diabetic range. So, yes a target of below 6% is certainly achievable.

Interesting about the connection with deafness - I hadn't heard of that one before.