Recently changed to levimir split doses

Louise5967

Hi there,
I've recently joined this forum and having read alot of posts have seen how helpful information from other type 1's is to everyone.
I've been T1 for 36 years(diagnosed age 6) and am thankfully doing the DAFNE course in July which I've been waiting to attend for some time.
I was on lantus for many years with considerably good control but had to come off it as I had really bad night hypos ended up with me fitting on several occasions-then swapped to insulatard-did not work for me as I went low at about 3am but then woke with BS of 12-15-increasing the dose would result in hypos at 3am.
Now I've commenced levimir 2 days ago split doses and started on 12/12 with novorapid with meals as advised by the diabetes nurses-again BS this am was 14-so will increase to 15/15 split doses and see what happens-
I am curious to know how long the stability took for others and what sort of dose people are on-I know we're all different but any info would be useful-also is the split dose the same or do some users have more at night. Many thanks

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there,

My son is on Levemir but I was recommended for him to have 2/3 dose in the morning and 1/3 dose at night. Seems to be working fine for him this way. Half unit pens make a difference and give better control also. My son is only 13kg so I do find when it first cuts in he does drop quite suddenly. I doubt this would be of concern to an adult.

I'm sure you'll find there are a load of combinations that work and you'll have to find the best ratio for you with the old trial and error.

All the best, Jen :D

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I split the Levemir during the DAFNE course and it took several weeks to find the right dose, doing both simultaenously wasn't ideal but I was sleeping through hypos. Big improvement with a half-unit pen. For around the first 18 months I needed slightly more in the day than overnight (some need the opposite). Currently its an even 5/5. I needed less Levemir than Lantus but others find the opposite.