Recently diagnoised type 2

saucycamel

Hi everyone. my name is Gail i have recently been diagnoised with type 2 diabetes. this was a big shock to the system as i was only just getting used to being on dialysis due to kidney failure. i am coping with the 2 diets (renal and diabetic) but last week i got tooth ache and went to see my dentist on friday to be told i had an absess. my face is all swollen and painful and she gave me antibiotics.

the problem i have is my blood sugar levels are rising and i would like to know if anyone can tell me if the antibiotics will cause this or what else could it be. i am on amoxillin.

Any advice is appreciated Thanks

Gail x

kazwbb

Hi Gail, sorry to hear you are unwell. I am a fairly new T2 as well but as I understand it your levels are likely to rise when you are unwell with an infection. The antibiotics themselves won't cause it. I have recently been through a tooth abcess as well. I am generally prone to abcesses and when I have them by levels shoot up.

Keep up with your eating routine and your levels should normalise when you are better and infection free. If you still have any concerns then speak to your diabetic nurse for reassurance.