Recently Diagnosed, have no idea what it means and Pregnant!

Leah33

Hi there, I have been diagnosed within the past week with Gestational Diabeties, although I have been told because I am very early on (14 weeks) I was probably borderline anyway (whatever that means) so may not be gestational. I have only had one appointment with a diabetic nurse, who showed me how to test my blood, gave a very brief talk about foods (as diet controlled) advised if I cant control with diet, will try pills then insulin (which she added could become likely the further into pregnancy i go). I have been given a target for pre meals and post meals, but have not been told what it means if i go to low or too high, I feel in the dark about it all, I know that diabeties is a chronic condition. I understand that this can result in a big baby and can be dangerous when I am close to term.

I am not unintelligent, more uninformed, I find information on a website either not mean much or conflicting. Is there any information that someone may feel is helpful for me? I am trying my best to think positive, and have treated my new lifestyle change seriously, but I just dont know the whys and what fors, and my next app is not til the 20th July! :?:

Lynne C

Re: Recently Diagnosed, have no idea what it means and Pregn

Hi

Gestational diabetes is when you are diabetic due to the stresses of pregnancy but the diabetes goes once you give birth. It probably would mean that you have a tendency towards diabetes so a good diet is essential without too many sweet things - great for your figure too!

I became diabetic when I was pregnant 30 years ago and the one thing you have to be really careful about is if your blood sugar gets too low. They didn't tell me what would happen and I passed out! You may start to feel shaky and if you do, eat something sweet or drink a couple of mouthfuls of lucozade or ordinary coca cola, the bubbles help it get into your blood stream fast but it will still take 15 minutes to take effect. Watch your diet carefully so you don't put on too much weight and do exercise, swimming is good when you are pregnant as it supports your weight even late on.

Keep asking questions, it's the only way to find out what you need to know and good luck. My baby weighed 7 lbs 5 oz so certainly wasn't large, they don't know it all!

Lynne C

Leah33

Re: Recently Diagnosed, have no idea what it means and Pregn

Thanks Lynne, its really kind of you to take the time to reply, and has helped, thanks a lot x