1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by diabetic dave, Jan 18, 2009.

1. diabetic dave

diabetic dave Type 2 · Member

hi i have recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, i am 11st 7 and 5 ft 8 and my glucose level was anything between 13 and 22 when it was first diagnosed,
    i started my medication with 2 x 500 mg of metformin 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening within weeks my sugar level dropped to 9.4, 3 months has gone by since i was diagnosed and my glucose level is still anything between 8 and 9.4 my gp told me to take 3 x metformin per day but that hasnt made much difference have you any sugestions on how to get it below 7 as i have been taken out of the fire team at work untill i can get it below 7 .

many thanks

Dave

2. HLW

HLW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you taking your metformin with meals? just making sure. That's not the maximum dose of metformin, so if it is urgent that you lower your blood sugar (is it your HbA1c you need to have below 7?) you could speak to the doctor about increasing the dose again?

What's your normal diet? you might be able to improve that to further lower your blood sugar.

3. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

As HLW said ,what is a normal days diet for you? Maybe you are eating too many carbs during the day .Metformin will help lower blood sugar but only in conjunction with a diet of reduced carbs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook