Recipe Ideas on Newcastle Diet?

Hi all.

Does anyone have any good recipes for the veg you can have with the Newcastle diet please?
Hubby has finally taken the plunge to deal with his continually rising sugar levels, and started this diet 10 days ago. Is 8lb lighter, stopped his meds a few days in, and for the last week or so has been getting readings of high 4's to low 7's, so is well pleased with that.

i don;t want to him lose interest in it, so am trying to be as creative as possible with the veg he eats for his evening meal - roasting, soups, stir-fry etc.
He loves a curry, and I thought I saw a cauliflower curry recipe someone did whilst on this diet, but I can't find it anywhere.

I am so proud of him for finally trying to address this. He is even agreeing with me now that low carb is the way to go once he finishes this diet! For the first time in years, he is actually wanting to go back to get his Hba1c checked, as he knows it will be so much better this time.

So if anyone who's done this diet has some ideas for veg recipes, it would be much appreciated!!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.

Does anyone have any good recipes for the veg you can have with the Newcastle diet please?
Hubby has finally taken the plunge to deal with his continually rising sugar levels, and started this diet 10 days ago. Is 8lb lighter, stopped his meds a few days in, and for the last week or so has been getting readings of high 4's to low 7's, so is well pleased with that.

i don;t want to him lose interest in it, so am trying to be as creative as possible with the veg he eats for his evening meal - roasting, soups, stir-fry etc.
He loves a curry, and I thought I saw a cauliflower curry recipe someone did whilst on this diet, but I can't find it anywhere.

I am so proud of him for finally trying to address this. He is even agreeing with me now that low carb is the way to go once he finishes this diet! For the first time in years, he is actually wanting to go back to get his Hba1c checked, as he knows it will be so much better this time.

So if anyone who's done this diet has some ideas for veg recipes, it would be much appreciated!!
Is he using real food or meal replacement shakes?

Is he using real food or meal replacement shakes?

Both - Shake for breakfast, lunch (with a small pot of peppers or radish) then another at the evening with about 200-250g of cooked veg. He really isn't a salad man, so its the veg per the Newcastle Diet guide. But at two weeks in I am beginning to struggle with new ideas.
I did find a recipe at the weekend for 'Shepard-less pie!' It was onion and mushrooms fried off with a tin to tomatoes added. Then some grated cauliflower on top, crisped up under the grill. Hubby said it was the nicest thing he'd eaten since the start!
I'm making soups as well, but any fresh ideas would be great.....

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I find useful is the soups using a variety of herbs and seasonings, to prevent the veg becoming very monotonous. Curry powder was used a lot. I made kale crisps by spreading washed kale on a baking tray, adding seasoning, then baking in a warm oven for half an hour.
Peppers stuffed with leeks and mushrooms with lots of seasoning, baked.
Mushrooms with garlic.
Any veg stirfried.
Always have fresh veg sticks ( celery, cucumber, peppers,) in fridge ready to nibble.

I will tag @Andrew Colvin who has been very successful using real food rathervthan meal replacement shakes.

Is your husband making sure to add a small amount of olive oil? Important to prevent gallstones.

Yes Pipp, olive oil being added, especially with the roasting.

Does anyone know if you can have Quorn products as well? Only something like the Quorn mince is only 4.5g of carbs per 100 I think.....?