Recipes for Xmas

CLP

Hi All

Everytime I go to the supermarket now I'm seeing aisles full of things that I can't (or won't eat). Chocolates, mince pies etc etc. :(

With this being my first diabetic xmas I wondered if anyone has any amazing low carb recipes for things. IF anyone has got a suitable recipe for Sherry Trifle (no jelly please but lots of sherry) then I'll be forever grateful. :D

Seriously though with xmas being the time where everyone over indulges it would be really great to get some low carb treats and recipes that we could eat instead.

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Christmas Day is one day,Claire,personally I'm going to indulge,modestly in all the Christmas fare !!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Our choir has started rehearing its Christmas programme.

Berlioz "Childhood of Christ" with the well known chorus "Shepherds' Farewell" is the main work. The chorus of Ishmaelites help the holy family by supplying freshest milk & luscious grapes.

The first carol includes the demand for FIGGY PUDDING :?: :evil: :?:
Cavelioness helpfully posted a recipe with 42 g carbohydrates per portion. I'll have to take a doggy-bag when we go carol singing :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Turkey and Brussels sprouts are ok. I'll have a tiny potato and I shall have a tiny portion of christmas pudding with loads of cream.
Being Czech born, I celebrate Christmas Eve too, with fish and salad. It's meant to be potato salad, but I'll have green salad and home made coleslaw. I also will have a sliver]of Czech Christmas bread. That's what got me through last Christmas. I had a sliver of everything. and I mean TINY SLIVER

Dr. Nic

I've made stuffing before which is very low carb.

For the low carbers....finly chop lots of mushrooms, onions and fry with loads of fresh sage and black pepper.

For those who allow a little carbs...do the same as above and add a a slice of low carb bread bread crumbs.

You could also add dried cranberries, apricots, prunes or dates for added flavour.

Its not entirely the same as Paxo but a good healthy alternative which compliments turkey really well!

Katharine

To make a sherry trifle:

Use sugar free jelly. Add some cut up tinned fruit minus the juice if you like.
Make up a low carb sponge cake. (Apricot sponge in recipe section of Dr Bernstein's forum ? did I put it in the recipe section here? or Victor Kline's sour cream occasion cake are both good)Soak this in sherry. Low carb gingerbread also works well in trifles but use tia maria or rum to soak it in and give a caribean flare by using a yellow coloured jelly and cut up bananas.
Make low carb custard with the real eggs/ double cream/ vanilla and artificial sweetener. (Dr B's forum has a recipe for this or try http://www.carb-lite.au for a recipe.) Stir like mad.Lumps are expensive ! If it does go lumpy put it through a seive.
Whip up double cream for the topping.

It is a lot more work to make your low carb options. Just be careful that you dish out a portion for yourself before everyone gets stuck in.

Reactions: lorraine95

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A stuffing recipe given to me by my scottish, ex-MIL and adapted by me.

Oatmeal stuffing.

Equal quantities of
finely chopped onions
breadcrumbs
coarse oatmeal

Mix together, add any herbs to taste and S&P, bind with a little olive oil, (purists will use suet) but not so it forms sticky balls, more a crumble effect.

I cook mine in a shallow dish.

I'm going to low-carb it this year with low-carb bread and less oatmeal. I've not checked but it sounds like it could be low GI/GL. It's outstanding with white meat and all the trimmings.

wiflib

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dear wiflib
I would add an egg to your recipe to bind it

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funnily enough, I tried that but I didn't like the texture. I prefer the crumbly sort.

wiflib

broads

Maybe a contradiction in terms but has anyone a recipe for diabetic Christmas cake that non diabetics would find edible?

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Anybody tried the Weightwatchers sugarless jelly and mousse? :)