Recommendations Please: Low Carb Recipe Book

P

paula.nolan42

Hi everyone

Has anyone got a tried and tested low Carb Recipe book that they would recommend ?

I have bought 2 Diabetic Recipe books so far but on further examination they weren't really low carb specifically.

I see that the Forum has a resource section and books can be downloaded - are any of them good, like in a very practical way good ??

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Has anyone got a tried and tested low Carb Recipe book that they would recommend ?

I have bought 2 Diabetic Recipe books so far but on further examination they weren't really low carb specifically.

I see that the Forum has a resource section and books can be downloaded - are any of them good, like in a very practical way good ??

Thanks
Check out the "what have you eaten today" thread here as well as the low carb diet thread .. you'll find loads of advice / recipes etc without needing to buy anything.. Personally I check all labels in supermarket and subsist on a mainly meat and green veg/salad diet (on the days that I eat). I guess I am on a ULCHF and IF diet where the U is ultra.

P

paula.nolan42

Check out the "what have you eaten today" thread here as well as the low carb diet thread .. you'll find loads of advice / recipes etc without needing to buy anything.. Personally I check all labels in supermarket and subsist on a mainly meat and green veg/salad diet (on the days that I eat). I guess I am on a ULCHF and IF diet where the U is ultra.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the threads you mentioned and there are great ideas there. But I'm also looking for recommendations based on personal experience. I hope that's ok

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I'm a cheapskate, but I can't think of the last time we bought a recipe book.

If I see something I or we fancy, we just look it up on t'internet. If it's carbtastic we the Google "low carb . ....", and go from there.

MrB is the main cook in this house and he rarely adheres to a recipe anyway.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Karen Barnaby's Low Carb Gourmet is good. It's got recipes for basics like cauli mash and cauli rice, also breakfasts. You could also try Richard Bernstein's (the Godfather of low carb diets for diabetics) Diabetes Diet

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

Karen Barnaby's Low Carb Gourmet is good. It's got recipes for basics like cauli mash and cauli rice, also breakfasts. You could also try Richard Bernstein's (the Godfather of low carb diets for diabetics) Diabetes Diet
Thanks Sam I'll check those out

Reactions: 3 people

Tina16008

Rose Elliot,The vegetarian low-carb diet is very good for ideas ( the low carb pizza is cheese heaven). Also love Annie Bell, Low carb revolution, great daily food that I can also serve to guests. I hope this is of some use to you.

Reactions: 4 people

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an app called Pinterest and if you search on there for low carbs recipes or LCHF recipes there tons

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't actually bought it yet, but intend to as soon as I see it (I try not to use Amazon) but I really fancy Tim Noakes' Real Meal Revolution' apart from anything else, I'd like to support Tim Noakes and his Foundation for his amazing brave work, that I am sure will benefit us all!

My favourite website for recipes is this one, this pizza recipe is awesome!

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/02/easy-pizza-crust/

Reactions: 2 people
P

paula.nolan42

Rose Elliot,The vegetarian low-carb diet is very good for ideas ( the low carb pizza is cheese heaven). Also love Annie Bell, Low carb revolution, great daily food that I can also serve to guests. I hope this is of some use to you.
Thanks Tina. I'll be looking at those

P

paula.nolan42

Call me old fashioned but I like recipe books. I know about Google and Pinterest. Of course I know about that. But I like having recipe books.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I'm quite addicted to them, I must confess I haven't bought many low carb ones, I just do a lot of adapting.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought quite a few books in the past few years that claimed to be low carb or diabetic cookbooks, in many many cases they arent low carb at all. (Have a look in charity shops and poundshops for some of the old atkins diets I found those better than many of the latest celeb clean living/n sugar books - some of those are FULL of honey, maple syrup, rice syrups etc).
If you have a kindle there are a LOT of free cookbooks available, but beware some are not low carb.

So now I've made my own cookbook :) From recipes posted on this site and others around the web, I just copy them into a word document. I can easily edit it and add comments to what suits my taste and my own oven settings.

So I try a new recipe and then if I like it add it to my book with my own comments and variations. I print it out every few months and have a version on my tablet to use in the kitchen. I keep meaning to take photos to make it more like a recipe book .

Reactions: 4 people