Recommened a good/ cheap monitor.

Sunflower11

Hi,
Both my parents had diabetes. Consquently once/ twice a year I test my own levels. However, due to the pandemic I'm not going to my GP for testing.
I have used at home the urine strips in tubes in the past, but I'd like to get an inexpensive blood monitor to see if I'm still within good levels. Also my husband has pre-diabetes. So could someone kindly suggest a good testers?
Thank you.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sunflower11 , and welcome to the forum!
All available glucose meters work fine. For most of us, the sensible thing to do is get the meter with the cheapest strips, as that's the ongoing cost. In your case, your strips will be long out of date before you've used them.
Most starter packs come with 10 teststrips, which is more than enough to keep testing twice a year until the test strips get too old.

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the fast reply. So something like Diastix would be just fine. I don't know of anything cheaper.
Those measure glucose in urine, not blood glucose. I'd use a blood glucose meter if I were you, glucose only starts to spill in urine when you go above 10 or 11 mmol/l.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most meter manufactures Accu-Chek, Abbott, Ascencia, will give you one for free you cannot get cheaper than that.

I have not paid for a meter yet.